Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Pattern tool/ extrusion question

dan_33dan_33 Member Posts: 13
So just made a cut extrusion into my part and I'd rather not redraw everything again on the adjacent sides of the part.  Is there a way that I could use the pattern tool as a rotary pattern in this situation? Or is there just a more efficient way to make the same exact cut extrusion on another piece of the part?  I've attached pictures of the part.  

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    What @3dcad said is best.  Just draw one segment of the model with the cut and then circular pattern to create the rest.   :) 
  • Options
    @3dcad
    Yes, could you send screen shots, please?
  • Options
  • Options
    @3dcad  I did get it to work when I changed the cut extrude to "new" of material but how can I make it work when there isn't material? Sorry if you've already answered this and I just don't understand.
  • Options
    Thank you! This was very helpful!
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Sometimes when the base material is more complex, face patterns won't work. The technique to use is create positives of the shape you want to cut (extrude to new) and pattern that new part, then use boolean to subtract those patterned parts from the base material. 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    traveler_hauptman  nails it: this is a powerful suggestion, and even when higher-level patterning becomes available, it will be worth having this in your quiver, because it is so fundamental and solid. Higher level tools can be capricious.

Onshape treats us as adults, handing us the keys to the 'good stuff' in the form of primitive boolean operations, available from within the feature-generating tools.

With this power, comes responsibility B) 

Most modern MCAD does not trust the user in this way, presumably because they do not want to be tainted by the backlash from misuse, or because they think the public is incapable of the higher level of abstract thinking which can be required in complex instances:

However, my feeling is that (particularly when modelling tricky stuff) it always pays to use the simplest tools for the job: not the tools which make things simple for the user, but the tools which make it simple for the software.

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @traveler_hauptman I agree, face pattern doesn't work in every situation and it breaks easily. 
    //rami