Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Revolve about an axis

phil_joycephil_joyce Member Posts: 13 PRO
Does anyone else agree with me on this?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    Onshape also lets you select a circular face or edge to define the axis. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I think it's awesome you dont need to explicitly define an axis everytime. Call it what you want. It works well and is easy. What else do you want?
  • Options
    So I can use either the axis or a defined circular locus?

• Options
    Call me a pedant John, but terminology is important to avoid misunderstanding. If the Revolve command can accept either an axis or a locus as input, then there is no problem at all with the words 'Revolve axis'. I must be doing something else wrong when I cannot get the axis to generate my required revolve (in another document - not the one shown).
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Hmm, i could have swore you can use a proper axis to revolve. Are you sure the axis wasn't off center or not vertical by some .000001° or something?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Linear edges should be fine to define an axis:

Specifically, selections which take axes can extract an axis from a linear edge, a circular (or arc) edge, or a cylindrical face:

^ The curious may want to take a look at query.fs:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff/w/a855e4161c814f2e9ab3698a/e/9fde5dffaf8d4e4c99aaa22c
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team