Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is There a Way To 'Roll Back' an Assembly?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
Seems it would useful to have the ability to roll back an assembly instead of suppressing features/mates etc. one by one then un-suppressing one by one to test changes. Is there currently a method to do so?

Comments

• Options
    I see we can shift/control select mates and supress/unsupress?
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    The best solution here will be configurations. I am patiently waiting  ;)
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I am not exactly sure what you're trying to do - BUT . . . .

If you have a complex assembly and you're trying to troubleshoot an overly complex mating strategy - here are some suggestions.

1) Assembly figs would likely not be of much help. Figs have been in other products for a while and no one uses them to troubleshoot assemblies.
    2) First make a version so that you can always get back to a known starting point.
    3) You can always 'duplicate' an assembly at any point to try stuff out and then delete them if not needed.
    4) Check that you do not have un-necessary 'fix' constraints (you should only have one at any level (as a good starting point).
    5) Each part or sub-assembly should really only have ONE mate - this is the big advantage of the mating scheme used in Onshape. If you have more, see if you can replace multiple mates with a single mate.
    6) If parts are 'floating away', either you do not have a mate that defines its position or motion OR you are relying on a 'fix' mate in a lower sub-assembly. Remember, these are (intentionally) not respected at higher levels.
    7) Mates are solved simultaneously and therefore a 'rollback' bar would not help you. To the best of my knowledge, there is still only one pro 3D product that solves mates sequentially.
    8) Start at the bottom - meaning the lowest level sub assembly. Make sure that its motion and behaviour is correct before onto a higher level.
    9) 'Group' mate is your friend - it replaces multiple mates and can be edited to add or removed components.
    10) You can always post a link to your Document - that way instead of essay's people will actually fix it for you! :)

I hope this helps.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks Philip,

I was reviewing the following doc from another forum question

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9552/issues-with-solving-an-assembly#latest

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8b6da23130a9dee535af0c96/w/f34a388fedf1c58e1269dcd5/e/c75acede3d33cc97cd1c1390

and was looking for a way to disable/suppress the mates to get a better idea of what the user was looking for. I thought it might be a good idea for the user to create a before and after picture of how they wanted the scissor to behave so they might get some help but don't know what the status is of the user's problem.

It did seem that shift and/or control selecting the mates allowed for suppressing/unsuppressing any number of mates needed and seemed to have served the purpose.

Perhaps your advice will help the OP in the original thread?

Thank again for your response...
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @larry_hawes - ah the scissor lift :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    I'm getting used to the hit and run nature of many posters here, that post a question and disappear. Must be the nature of the free version or something...anyway hope the OP finds an answer and as always thanks for your help.