Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Building a boat

mark_schneidermark_schneider Member Posts: 4
I am new to cad and am trying to build a boat, I copied a design off of the public documents and now am trying to slice the individual parts and lay them flat so I can figure out how much aluminum I need and make templates, or send the a file to a cnc plasma cutter. Do you have any tips?

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited June 2018
    Hello Mark Schneider - international man of mystery and the tallest man in CAD/CAM!

Mark, yes - the KIRImoto app in the appstore does this :)

"Laser mode will intelligently slice a 3D model and layout the cross sections for export to DXF or SVG."

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    What kind of boat?
    Which public doc are you starting with?
    Can you share your document?

If you are new to CAD it might be worth doing some of the Onshape stater courses to help you understand the basic concepts then applying that to your bigger project. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    I started with a doc called jetboat made by Ryan Verhoest all I am worried about is the hull and the windshield, I could not figure out how to share the file. Thank you for the quick responses.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    mark_schneider said:
    I could not figure out how to share the file.
    @mark_schneider

Just copy the url in the address bar. Because you are a free user, it will be public already.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @mark_schneider and welcome.

A quick read of this would be appreciated:- https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist

There are loads of helpful folks who hang about here, but in the main you'll get much better answers to specific questions.  If we don't know what you know already and what you're stuck on it's hard to offer up anything meaningful.

All the best.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited June 2018
    Ideally, you would want to use sheet metal to form flat patterns of the parts, but sheet metal only deals with flat folded or rolled parts, not free-form parts of which the hull is mainly made up of. Using some creative sheet metal work individual parts could be created but faces would have to be flat not formed.

You could also use the flat extract app to get dxf profiles of the faces, this is designed to pull profiles off free-form surfaces. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Ok so I attempted to use the flat extract app and it won' let me, I'm assuming it' because it' a semienclosed shape. Is there any way to fix this problem?