Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating Part studios in context from assemblies

will_tuckerwill_tucker Member Posts: 5
Hi all,
         Anyone know if it is possible to create an editable part studio in context from an assembly pre-made. I know you can create these studios, but I can't work out how to edit the original parts. This is all within the onshape CAD software. If not, is it possible to add this functionality in the future? I'm sure it would be very useful!

Just to clarify, I am attempting to use the boolean command on two parts inserted in context and it doesn't work.

Thanks all responders,

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2018
    As ever a link to your doc would help clear things up faster.

If I've got the idea correct you've imported a part you want to modify in context?

If so if you do a copy in place using the transform function (in the ICE partstudio) then you'll be able to carry out any of the usual operations.

The you can squirt the copy back to your assy.

The downside is you have a copy of the part, not an edit to the original, but hopefully that's good enough for your purpose?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • will_tuckerwill_tucker Member Posts: 5
    cool thanks
    Soon to be a reality thanks
    Cool :) What is it?

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    NeilCooke said:
    Damn, I thought it was a remake of Day of the Triffids :)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited June 2018
    I don't believe Onshape has start parts or templates. It would be nice.

Onshape does have incontext and will allow you to design partstudios incontext of an assy.

Not sure bodies are available in terms of incontext and therefore I'm not sure you can perform this boolean operation incontext while inside a partstudio. You can how ever copy the faces, split the body and delete what you don't want in 1 assy, and 2 part studios. 

I believe that you'd be better off just working in a part studio and creating 2 parts.

This way incontext should work for you to tie 2 partstudios together using an assy.

billy2 said:
    I don't believe Onshape has start parts or templates. It would be nice.

Onshape does have incontext and will allow you to design partstudios incontext of an assy.

Not sure bodies are available in terms of incontext and therefore I'm not sure you can perform this boolean operation incontext while inside a partstudio. You can how ever copy the faces, split the body and delete what you don't want in 1 assy, and 2 part studios. 

I believe that you'd be better off just working in a part studio and creating 2 parts.

This way incontext should work for you to tie 2 partstudios together using an assy.

Yep that's what I was originally trying to do and it doesn't work
    Did you try my advice above?

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Did you try my advice above?

Owen S.
    Yep I did. Thanks, it works now so I can 3D print the updated version. I've improved it a bit more now. Actually looks more like the actual thing!