Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Finished Job But Onshape struggles when I make any changes .

paul_bartlettpaul_bartlett Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
Is there a more efficient way to build this project that has about 700 Parts? I am happy with the results but when working with it Onshape seems to struggle a bit. But it does do it.
Would making each rings as a sub assembly create less over head rather than inserting all the rings one at a time from a parts studio.
Any other thought on doing this more efficiently would be greatly appreciated. I do this type of design often and many times there could be thousands of parts.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/47f8ecb372dd67b4c4fb5112/w/ba34d8bff1f38e186692569e/e/bb40b8d403f52a9e9c3059c3

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    I doubt sub assemblies will speed up processing time at all.

If you have a lot of the same parts on the same layer, you should look into patterns in assemblies rather than patterning in the part studio.
    You may run into a problem with the colored tiles in the pattern, as you cannot skip instances.

If you do not need the whole block to be that color, you could just offset surface by 0" and insert the surface into the assembly and mate it to the appropriate blocks to give it color. Then you will only need to handle 1 or 2 blocks per layer.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 699
    @paul_bartlett
    Onshape has a tool for debugging model performance.

As you can see that revolved cuts are taking the most time in regeneration. As @john_mcclary
      suggested, you can optimize these cuts by taking advantage of your model's rotational symmetry and modeling each color block in each layer only once. Then you'll need to re-assemble them in a new assembly where you can insert as many instances of the parts as needed.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    @paul_bartlett - I remodelled your part using configurations - it is an "advanced" modelling technique, but gets the job done much quicker and with better quality.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f8aa0cc3c7c0f3c52f2e46d3/w/e98b6aaaef7f5c3d32748697/e/198293832cc23971458817de
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @NeilCooke Nice
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    The vase is OK too.

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    paul_bartlettpaul_bartlett Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Neil, This is very interesting not sure how you did it or if it would work for what I need. It appears that you derived in each ring and made some changes when doing it.
    If you had a simple  Step by Step on what you did it would help a lot. I know simple is the wrong word. My problem is I need the original assembly and parts studios to create my drawings of each ring and the full assembly. Do you see your method being used here before the profile cuts?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/47f8ecb372dd67b4c4fb5112/w/ba34d8bff1f38e186692569e/e/baf4809362b58ee40a2ec789
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    @paul_bartlett - simple it is not, but essentially I made a single ring and added logic inside the features (see sketch dim vales and pattern values) then drove those values using a config table (see part studio 1, icon halfway down the right edge of the screen). I revolved cut the rings in part studio 1, but that could be removed and added to part studio 2 and therefore get the uncut ring shapes. Clear as mud I expect.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    You can add a configuration checkbox to suppress the last two features in the part studio.
    Then you will have the pre-machined version and the final render version just by clicking the checkbox

When you insert the parts into a drawing you will need to set the configuration while inserting into a view (or change configuration in the view by right clicking the view)

check out this video https://www.onshape.com/videos/configurations-in-onshape