Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ball and socket restriction

Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
Hi,  I have a problem where I have a ball and socket but I want to restrict rotations to only the X and Y axis.  There is a pin in the socket running a slot in the ball.  I don't understand how to restrict rotation around the Z axis to give my assembly the rotations I want.  I have tried using revolute mate connector in the middle of the ball but I haven't been able to change the axis on it (Z) to X or Y.  I was thinking I might be able to  apply two revolute mate connectors to achieve the rotations I want. Is that a viable method and I just haven't know how to rotate the mate connector? 
Any advice?
 Thanks.  

Tagged:

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Reece, you can edit the mate connector by expanding the mate, RMB clicking on the mate connector, editing and changing its orientation by checking the move. 

If you post a link we can take a look and advise you further. 

Also, are you based in Victoria? The V line train sort of gives me that idea.

Bruce

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Bruce, I'll give that a try. I did try editing the mates before but I think I had checked realign. Is it possible to put 4 mate connectors on the same place? Yes I am in Victoria, that's me riding the step ( was letting my trainee have a steer for the run around),  you wouldn't be in Ararat by chance?https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b7f45f46906c28866dcee914/w/bac024ad0fd594239faed2c2/e/964ac4afea395a15f5eae907
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Reece, is this the mate your trying to control? I changed it to revolute mate and it looks sort of right to me. 

Yes, I am from Ararat.
    Thanks Bruce but that doesn't solve the problem as it only give me on one plane and I need it on two both need to be revolve.  That is why I seem to be stuck with ball.  The is a slot on the ball that I'm trying to exploit. I'm thinking I need to do something like making a  hidden yoke and mate connecting that to get the movement I'm after.
    Ah, We've met at Hawthorn at a user group meeting, I'm still wearing the Tee shirt!
    ahh... yes I thought you might have been at one of those meetups. We are doing another one on the 1-08-18 it would be great if you can come along.

To get your part to work maybe you need to combine the ball mate with a tangent mate. The tangent mate might also need a dummy surface or sketch to define the travel however I am struggling to see what you are trying to achieve.
    I'm trying to get it to move like a two axis gimbal (like that found in a RC joystick) with fewer parts.
    Yes will be happy to attend meeting again. I was disappointed not being able to make last one.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited July 2018
    you're no beginner, nice start:

Add a screw relation to the Cylindrical 2 mate:

This will make the screw move up&down when you turn the thread. You have to enter the pitch:

Also, in the future, before you share:
    -Click on version and name "V# before I shared"
    -Branch that version and call it "others input"

Then give me edit rights to your design, this way I don't have to copy your design and I can fix many things for you.

If you like it, merge the "others input" branch back to your main branch. If you don't like, then delete the branch.

One thing that you need to realize, the version "V# before I shared" will never change and you'll never lose it. What I'm recommending isn't a security risk.

You can always change the edit rights at any time and lock your design down.

Welcome to modern day CAD!

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    One more thing. Your model is really slow on my computer. You can have more than one document. Split things up.

Hit ctrl-d on your keyboard and check the ping rate:

I live in the country and suffer from a good internet connection. It could just be my computer/internet.