Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Equation confusion

paul_bartlettpaul_bartlett Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
Neil Cooke redid did one of my projects and used Configurations which I have come to like a lot. He used these equations which I haven't seen before, can anyone explain how it works. It looks like it changes dimension or others into a 1 entity  and it can be controlled by a quantity number 
What is the (x) in the equation mean. The reference is in sketch 1.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5cf4172903e955c79db77c3c/w/cc01f0c427133ecefd0ac5da/e/a99e926d639e3febd3780109

number. Wha

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    @john_mcclary yes I want the pattern to fail (when yellow blocks is 5, there are only 4 black blocks, but when less than 5 there are 8).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    @john_mcclary yes I want the pattern to fail (when yellow blocks is 5, there are only 4 black blocks, but when less than 5 there are 8).
    Forgive me if I am naive, but wouldn't it be better to set an additional suppression configuration based on that result. Rather than letting it fail?
    Seems to me having red on the tree could have unintended consequences on later features.
    I know Onshape handles failed features differently than SW, but it's always been taboo to have a red tree.
  • Options
    Unfortunately we can’t suppress by equation yet so I had no choice but to fail the feature. 
  • Options
    Although yes I could have had an extra column in the config. Just being lazy I guess!
  • Options
    Understood :)   It was just a quick and dirty example for him to refine. I just thought it was weird to allow a red feature on purpose, especially from an Onshape employee, unless there was truly no harm in it.
  • Options
    So, equation driven suppression IR anyone? :smile:

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100