Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I taught a class of kids Onshape at a library

frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in General
I volunteer at a library makerspace, and I am teaching a series of classes on building a robot, lesson #1 was on CAD to 3D print the robot's body, using Onshape. Most of it was actually done through many very short screen recordings, for practical reasons, since this is a library, more chaotic than a classroom setting. The object is really just about 7 rectangles and 6 holes, but I actually included concepts like constraints, mirroring, patterning, hopefully pulling people away from TinkerCAD before bad habits form

Read the full story here, it's a diary for that day, what went well and what went wrong, common mistakes, etc

http://eleccelerator.com/teaching-a-robotics-class-2018/

Also I have my class content here, maybe check it out and point out anything that you like or would like to see changed

http://eleccelerator.com/ssfpl_robotics_class_2018/ for all of the content

http://eleccelerator.com/ssfpl_robotics_class_2018/3dcad.htm for just the CAD class

I know Onshape has their own tutorials but they really feel like tutorials meant for people who are moving between CAD software. Also it's nice to give them a 3D printed piece of the thing they are designing before they start, to have that connection from their actions directly translate to something physical.

If I could get some Onshape stickers to hand out, that'd be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: something went wrong with this post where the pic never shows up on my Chrome but you might've seen the same file uploaded 6 times because it never showed up for me, I noticed it on mobile. Apologies.
Tagged:

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Awesome B)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    This is so great! I'm developing a class for high schoolers using Onshape and 3D printing so I appreciate you sharing your experiences. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    This is awesome!

It's cool seeing kids using the same tools (CAD, PCBs, 3D Printers, Soldering etc) as the professionals use to create these little robots.

Not just "here is a magic box that you stick inside a hand made piece of cardboard and add wheels".

Good stuff
  • frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    This is so great! I'm developing a class for high schoolers using Onshape and 3D printing so I appreciate you sharing your experiences. 

I'm very interested in how you are planning your class and what the outcome is. Although if you are a real teacher, I bet you have more than just one day so you are more flexible and can teach more.

I've simply told these kids to come back at any time if they need my help, as I am there every Saturday regardless if a class is scheduled.

Thanks for the kind words everyone

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    How do I sign up??
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    wow!  Thanks for sharing.  Makes me wish I was in SF.  :)

www.accuratepattern.com
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU

I'm very interested in how you are planning your class and what the outcome is. Although if you are a real teacher, I bet you have more than just one day so you are more flexible and can teach more.

I've simply told these kids to come back at any time if they need my help, as I am there every Saturday regardless if a class is scheduled.

Thanks for the kind words everyone

My class will be a one trimester course twice this upcoming school year. I'll definitely post about my experience after the first term in November.