Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet Metal options?

don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
I need to be able to create a flat part, make some cuts either by laser of punch, roll it, then add an emboss feature after it is rolled.
Does Onshape have this ability?  I can find where I can create a rolled part from a sketch, but I can't convert a solid into a rolled sheet metal part.
In the image below, I have a flat part, that I want to roll into the shape in the background. The of course comes the emboss feature...
Thoughts?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I believe the order of CAD operations would be to create the basic rolled shape, then create the punch/hole features on the flat pattern view. The emboss may need to be added after "finishing" the sheet metal part. The emboss won't show up in the flat pattern unless you have add a sketch to locate it. If you're looking to create a round emboss, here's one option.

And here's an example.

• Options
    How does one add a sketch to the flat pattern view?  I tried, but failed miserably...
  • Options
    So, I've been able to sketch on the flat pattern of a sheet metal part, but after making a series of holes, any other attempt at sketching and extruding fails.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might have finished sheet metal part?
  • Options
    So the Support team confirmed that part of what I want to do can't be done yet in the Sheet Metal module.  They'll get there eventually.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2018
    Hi Don, these workflows are very important for those using turret punches and I agree there needs to be a better solution! At the moment there are workarounds here to get the placement points on the dxf for embossing but it is not a proper solution.  

In SolidWorks, I used to have a form tool library with all my available stripit tools, when I wanted to add to a sheet metal part you just opened the flyout and dragged them onto the part, very simple and worked with ease once you had the library settings correct. The only issue with SolidWorks was the flat pattern always retained the emboss and dxf had to be edited to remove the tangent edges from the retained enbose before sending the programer.

Onshape's solution of adding the sketch to the flat pattern as @Jake_Rosenfeld showed works without post dxf editing but ideally, we need the enboses to be parametrically linked and showing up as formed features on the 3d view. Having to add a finish sheet metal feature then position unlinked enbosses is not acceptable in my view.  We also need a way to build out an punch/enbose tool library. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977