Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Making a surface in the area of 3D sketch frame.

StrebsStrebs Member Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in Using Onshape
I want to make a chair surface at 10mm in thickness with the shape below. I have been suggested to use loft. However, i keep making weird and unrealistic shapes when doing it.
Project- 

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    Hello again @Strebs - I would avoid using custom features if you can build it with built-in features. You should be able to do what you want using loft. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Hello again @Strebs - I would avoid using custom features if you can build it with built-in features. You should be able to do what you want using loft. 
    Ok I wont be using custom features anymore for the time being.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I am wondering why you can't just use the standard extrude?  Maybe you are trying to use surfaces to get the form? this can be done with guide curves?  For surfacing rather than using the radiate surface feature script have a play with the loft feature.

Here's an example of using the loft

And once you have a surface it can be easily thickened with the "thicken feature"

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    I am wondering why you can't just use the standard extrude?  Maybe you are trying to use surfaces to get the form? this can be done with guide curves?  For surfacing rather than using the radiate surface feature script have a play with the loft feature.

Here's an example of using the loft

And once you have a surface it can be easily thickened with the "thicken feature"

Thank you for the help, I'm still quite new to Onshape and CAD overall, sometimes the most obvious things to do go over my head.