Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Formatting of forum posts

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
I find it slightly irritating that the forum software correctly displays the difference between "Italic" and "Bold + Italic" in the Preview pane, and yet when a submission gets posted, everything in Italics is rendered as Bold + Italic.

I presume this is a bug, and clearly it's a minor one, but if it's simply rectified -- perhaps a case of some wrong setting -- I would like to see it fixed.

After all, the most fundamental definition of good communication is:
message sent = message received.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited June 2015
    I have noticed that italics is showing up bold.  Let me see if I can fix that.... I believe it is our font we are using but let me see what I can do.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This should be fixed now with a slight tweak..  (I hope this works..btw, this is in italics...  this is italics with bold applied)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yay, Lou, you da man!
  • Options
    Just one tiny thing: now, for all text in italics, the font changes to a smaller serif font (not in the preview, which remains correct, but when the text is posted)
  • Options
    @andrew_troup I think something reverted... 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Seems to be      italic bold italic bold    all OK now

And the fix is retroactive (at least in this thread!)

No sign of serifs, or undersizing: Looks good to go

Thanks a bunch, Lou

• Options
    Lou, the font for italics has re-reverted, since June 2, to a smaller, serif font

Once again, the preview is correct, but the posted version is wrong

• Options
    Yep.. I will fix it again..
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would like to see underline option in formatting to be able to gently highlight some points. Bold tends to be too powerfull if you just wan't that reader doesn't miss some important word and lose context.

There are still problems with WYSIWYG, using formatting usually needs fixing html code to get it right..
    //rami
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @andrew_troup and others, if you wan't to add underline to your text - you can do it with simple edit in HTML view (</> button)

Just add <u> where you want to begin underlining and </u> where you want to end.

This is kind of hack and can be applied only from html editor, but it is pretty easy since you can bounce back and forth between html and wysiwyg. 

//rami
  • Options
    @lougallo Discussion seems not to popup in the top though I added a new comment into it.
    //rami
  • Options
    @3dcad:

I entirely agree with you: bold ends up 
    looking like shouting 
    because it appears
    to switch to a larger font when posted.
    The same applies to italic, but (again)
    not in the preview, where it is perfect.

Here's what the preview looks like: (Although unfortunately, the forum software insists on scaling it UP)

This problem is made more evident by the preview being in a different font than the post (the latter appears to be Onshape's 'house font').

If it's not just under-performing forum software (written by others than Onshape, evidently), then maybe the house font designers did a great job of designing a nice looking basis font (looks rather like Eurostyle, to my eye) but something has gone wrong with the variants.

The problem of the rather heavy linetype for bold seeming to be "over the top" is compounded by the extreme lightness of line for the basis font.