Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

VBA in Onshape

--

Hello.

I have used VBA as in this video in AutoCad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIJkG5fBKU
And like in this for SolidWorks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbVzefDmVt0

Can I do the same in Onshape?

Regards MagI

---
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,002
    @magnus_ivarsson Since we are a web application VBA would probably not be the platform but we are working on a number of ways to automate and integrate. What specifically are you looking to automate/customize?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    magnus_ivarssonmagnus_ivarsson Member Posts: 3
    Hi.
    I want to be able to do exactly what they do in the first video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIJkG5fBKU

I have a large VBA and want to be able to activate that and from that i get values. 
    Them values(variables) is then to be used to automatic create 2D and 3D CAD drawings.
    I can do this in AutoCad and SolidWorks.

But I would really lite to do it in your Onshape CAD system.

If you need help get back to me.
    Maybe I can help you.

M.Sc. in Engineering Physics
    Magnus Ivarsson 
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would like to create that rectangle/circle manually in Onshape and control parameters and suppress/unsuppress through sql table. Sql should suit controlling cloud cad models perfectly.
    //rami
  • Options
    Girish_JoshiGirish_Joshi Member, Developers Posts: 4
    Hi Lou Gallo,

I was thinking the same kind of things to automate some tasks by using some Plugins/Addins, which one can create as per his/her own requirement.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @lougallo & @magnus_ivarsson , I also want to discuss some area where user can implement automation with the help of VBA.
    1) User can create Q.C macro to check his modeled part and drawing which is very helpful to user to reduce design time and test several alternatives.
    2) User can create and use macro for giving balloon number in drawing as per his requirement.
    3) User can also create and use macro for BOM formatting.
    4) User can develop a rules-based solution using automation tool
    5)
    It also helpful to create an Excel design table like solid-works.
  • Options
    magnus_ivarssonmagnus_ivarsson Member Posts: 3
    If you run Onshape in windows internet explorer , then wouldn't it be possible to activate macro and then VBA in that browser with Onshape?