Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - March 15th, 2024

2»

Comments

• Options
    tabetha_bulnestabetha_bulnes Member, Developers, HON-TS Posts: 22 PRO
    For the sketch color property, are you able to do this in FeatureScript as well? If so, what would be an example query that would allow the sketch to update colors? 
  • Options
    connor_mcbrideconnor_mcbride Member Posts: 2 EDU
    can we PLEASE have a built in dark mode? Eye strain is a real thing and a nearly solid white background can cause some serious damage to the eyes over time.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,523 PRO
    edited March 19
    Also just noticed that curves still can't have color assigned (the old trick of putting them in a closed composite hasn't been "restored" either...), surely that shouldn't be too hard to add now? Please?

• Options
    tabetha_bulnestabetha_bulnes Member, Developers, HON-TS Posts: 22 PRO
    Also just noticed that curves still can't have color assigned (the old trick of putting them in a closed composite hasn't been "restored" either...), surely that shouldn't be too hard to add now? Please?

^ this and opPoint coloring.  :)
  • Options
    paolo_ciancipaolo_cianci Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    sketch appearances creates problems in the exported dxf of a flat sheet metal, Autocad is unable to open it, no problem if I leave the default color in the sketch
  • Options
    dave_lapthornedave_lapthorne Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 14
    sketch appearances creates problems in the exported dxf of a flat sheet metal, Autocad is unable to open it, no problem if I leave the default color in the sketch
    Thanks for letting us know Paolo, please log a support ticket on this so our team can fully investigate.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,723 PRO

@connor_mcbride, give Dark Reader a try. Works great!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    Dark reader works most of the time, but it washes out the icons and does not work on drawings.

which I find harder on the eyes since you go from calm and dark to bright white when opening a drawing
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 481 PRO
    edited March 20
    I much prefer this one Chrome Web Store for dark mode. 
    See Discussion
  • Options
    I much prefer this one Chrome Web Store for dark mode. 
    See Discussion
    Oh, that's much nicer!

the icons are still a bit fuzzy, but I like the color mode and dark drawing!

It made be give them my email for a free trial... but I didn't see anything about cost. (I went through install pretty quick)
    Is it free forever? or what?

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 481 PRO
    @john_mcclary
     I don't know what the deal is, I saw that it was $3.99 for a lifetime. But the other day my free trial expired and I paid $2.99. I understood this to be a one-time fee. 

Buy the way I told Onshape they should buy this from the developer and bake it in. With a few refinements. 
  • Options
    Hell, that ain't bad
  • Options
    kenn_sebesta167kenn_sebesta167 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    STEG said:

Just to let you know that Onshape dev team conducts with some users what they call "Usability test" and I've already been a tester. Besides, I participated in the new Hole feature interface usability test.
    A tech preview is different from a closed beta test. It lets a broad swath of users know what is coming before it goes live. We could imagine watching the informational video a few days *before* the software change is released. (Qt does this quite well, although it's obviously a different thing to release a programming SDK vs a software application.)

One of my colleagues, a better drafter than I and the engineer who got me hooked on OnShape, looked at this hole feature and said "OnShape needs more mechanical engineers and fewer software engineers." This isn't a sentiment I agree with, but the fact that she would have that opinion at all is worth keeping in mind.
  • Options
    JamesonBinanitanJamesonBinanitan Member Posts: 10 PRO

Hi Onshape Team,

Congratulations! Another set of awesome updates. I particularly like the SKETCH DIMENSION EXPRESSION DISPLAY.

While testing it out, I was curious about using it in an inactive sketch.
    Sample Photo:

I wonder if you would also consider activating this feature in inactive sketches, alongside other variable-driven tools like Extrude, Revolve, and so on. 

Thanks!

• Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO

We hear you- we are not done with appearance updates :) 

Please! we need Display States that control Appearances/Visibility/Transparency 
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO

Hi Onshape Team,

Congratulations! Another set of awesome updates. I particularly like the SKETCH DIMENSION EXPRESSION DISPLAY.

While testing it out, I was curious about using it in an inactive sketch.
    Sample Photo:

I wonder if you would also consider activating this feature in inactive sketches, alongside other variable-driven tools like Extrude, Revolve, and so on. 

Thanks!

The "Show Expression" checkbox does not stick after closing the Sketch, this must bu a bug otherwise is useless. Also, the Expressions need to be visible without needing to go into Edit Sketch mode.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    NeverEnoughInkNeverEnoughInk Member Posts: 2
    Releases like this one with lots of QoL improvements really show just how hard y'all are listening to feedback, and that's awesome. The feature-specific videos in the release notes are EXTREMELY useful. Thanks for all your hard work!
  • Options
    michael_zeaglermichael_zeagler Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious if we lost the ability to configure a hole feature's "style" (counterbore, countersink) in this update or one of the previous ones? Is there any info on whether that will be coming back any time soon? I tried configuring a new hole feature today but it said "This parameter does not support being configured." The hole features I already had in my part studios don't seem to have updated, and so they still support it.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,383 PRO
    It’s about that time again…
  • Options
    edited April 5
    I'm curious if we lost the ability to configure a hole feature's "style" (counterbore, countersink) in this update or one of the previous ones? Is there any info on whether that will be coming back any time soon? I tried configuring a new hole feature today but it said "This parameter does not

support being configured." The hole features I already had in my part studios don't seem to have updated, and so they still support it.
    Not sure why they don't want it configured...

to get it back copy this featurescript std | hole.fs (onshape.com)

then delete "unconfigurable" from lines 351 and 354

• Options
    dingdang_dadingdang_da Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Why the hole still old version in my document
  • Options
    If a feature is added to your partstudio tree, it will remain that version until you replace it with the new version.

If it's a custom feature then it will have a blue update icon to notify you 
  • Options
    If a feature is added to your partstudio tree, it will remain that version until you replace it with the new version.

If it's a custom feature then it will have a blue update icon to notify you 
    I don't know how to replace my Hole feature with the latest version, it doesn't have the blue icon.
  • Options
    You have to delete the original and remake it with the new one
  • Options
    In one of my documents, when I create a new hole feature, it remains the old version of the hole. However, in another document, when I create a new hole feature, it is the new version of the hole.
  • Options
    Your document may not be updated, can you share a link?
    Otherwise contact support