Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What was your first WOW! moment when using Onshape?

Hello folks, 

I'm helping get new users onboard and showing them the benefits of Onshape. The challenge is introducing them early to the key features and benefits of using Onshape. Here's where I need your feedback: 

What was your Wow! moment using Onshape? What stood out to you? When did it click for you that this would improve your work-life?

Thanks in advance for your input. 

-Matthew

Comments

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    First and immediate Wow! moment:
    Immediate availability (pervasiveness) of a full MCAD tool anywhere.

Dries
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Making a model using the track pad and enjoying it, instead of wanting to throw the laptop into a wall :)

Not having to hit save every 5 min (although I still look for the save button out of instinct and get confused for a few seconds each time)

• jim_farruggiajim_farruggia OS Professional Posts: 3 PRO
    A proper 3d design tool for a Mac
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Building multiple parts in Part Studio while sharing features across multiple parts.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    I second, @jfarruggia‌ soon I'll ditch winblows for good thanks to this.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I'm with @Ben & @jfarruggia, SolidWorks is the only thing keeping me on windows.

For WOW, a good clean simple example of sharing a branch with a external (untrusted) party, having a collaborative web meeting with the workspace, and then merging selected changes made in the meeting back into your main line of development.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    In a similar vein... Not having to setup any hardware and software. The idea that no design files need to be copied out to local work areas, checked back-in, synced to all the local work areas...Really efficient way of working with colleagues from any location with internet access (even in rural Haiti on a 3G network).  After setting up, training, troubleshooting, and managing the current generation of data management - this is extremely good news.  Love the branching and merging capabilities.  Awesome stuff.
  • rajendra_bhatrajendra_bhat OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Ability to work from anywhere,in any system which connected to internet.
  • andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    As an Onshape UXer, it was conducting a very early usability test of Onshape. In was in the UK, he was on a road trip in Southern California. He pulled into a Starbucks, connected to the wifi on his laptop and the test started. I was suddenly struck by the absence of traditional barriers.

(I write this from a coffee shop, while I build my model of the week entry on a tethered 4G connection!)
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited November 2014
    I was on that web meeting from my office in California. That was a big day for Starbucks too, first collaborative 3D design ever conducted from a coffee shop. 
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • GalRazGalRaz Member Posts: 1
    To Wake up Saturday morning with a need for CAD and to find my laptop ready to work and share without VPN, borrowing license , Citrix , eDrawings, PLM and so,
  • ilya_mirmanilya_mirman Member Posts: 24
    Shutting the laptop, then opening the document on another computer.
  • robert_robermanrobert_roberman Member Posts: 3
    Working on a project on my Mac and all the sudden new features just showed up ( section view, helix etc.) No crashes, no patches, no install, just like magic (Wow)