Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to search for a Document Name, when only a few middle characters are known.

eldon_browneldon_brown Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
How can I use a "wild card" for Document File Name search that contains a sequence of characters in the middle of the Document Name?

For example:  *Connector*
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    edited April 9 Answer ✓
    glen_dewsbury

***** Try "*mets*" as your search, I do not think it will work! *****

CORRECTION: I must not have be waiting long enough, It now WORKS for me also as "*flag*" !
    (I must have too many files or a slow network connection)

Thanks, this answers the Question, Thanks ALL

I can now go back to my "CamelCase" and "Snake_Case" file names as desired.

Thanks.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    Answer ✓
    What I have found is that searching for "foo" will find "blah-foo-baz" and "blah Foo baz" but not "bing_foo_bar" nor "BingFooBar". Searching for "*foo*" will find all of them, but takes longer.

Underscores or camel case don't work as well for Onshape search, especially for people that forget to use the asterisks.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,413
    That works for me?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke;

If it works for you, I must be doing something wrong.

It does work if the search word starts with a "space" (or nothing). For example, while looking for a Document like, "GoFlag_R01", searching for "flag" does not work for me. It does work if the Document name is "Go Flag_R01".

To be compatible with our downstream process as exported files, I use "CamelCase" or "Snake_Case" for file names for all Documents. I avoid "spaces" within names as most of our downstream processes (CNC, 3D Printing, Plasm, etc) and file storage run on Linux systems and therefore file names with spaces are a pain to manage.

A Onshape File Name Search with "wild card characters" would solve the problem and would be great.

BTW, the file system and lack of a good search function and a way to view a multi-level directory structure is one of the main reasons that we are moving away from Fusion 360.  I think I have over 3000 project files within a multi-level folder structure in my paid F360 subscription service and it is a terrible process (it really sucks) to try to search for very old projects.
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 589 ✭✭✭
    edited April 9
    Eldon. I just tried the same thing and it worked. Are you sure that you have a document that includes that name or maybe a misspelling in the document name?

• Options
    edited April 9 Answer ✓
    glen_dewsbury

***** Try "*mets*" as your search, I do not think it will work! *****

CORRECTION: I must not have be waiting long enough, It now WORKS for me also as "*flag*" !
    (I must have too many files or a slow network connection)

Thanks, this answers the Question, Thanks ALL

I can now go back to my "CamelCase" and "Snake_Case" file names as desired.

Thanks.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    Answer ✓
    What I have found is that searching for "foo" will find "blah-foo-baz" and "blah Foo baz" but not "bing_foo_bar" nor "BingFooBar". Searching for "*foo*" will find all of them, but takes longer.

Underscores or camel case don't work as well for Onshape search, especially for people that forget to use the asterisks.