Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Public Document - Learn Onshape - Model and Movie - IRIS Shutter

Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
edited November 2014 in Using Onshape
Hi All.  There is a new public document called Learn Onshape - Model and Movie - IRIS Shutter.  In it is a PDF as well as the models with links to two video.  Use RMB click to open the videos in their own tab or windows.

Let me know if you think it is helpful in learning Onshape and how the experience is.  All feedback welcome.

Thanks
Darren Henry - Marketing
dhenry@onshape.com
Onshape

Comments

• Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    Here is an image of the assembly
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    @DarrenHenry I have to say, this demo is absolutely phenomenal.

It's clean, concise, and focuses on one of the core strengths of OS - the ability to manage top-down and bottom-up simultaneously.

I do have one question though - in a production setting, you can't just "boolean" one part from another, because you need to account for manufacturing tolerances. This fact is really what keeps bottom-up design alive. The world is chock full of "ten thou working clearances", so how do you recommend OS users account for that in this type of workflow?

May I recommend an option in Boolean to account for working tolerances? Ideally, the user would be given a choice to either subtract material from one part, the other, or split the difference. Just a thought...
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    I do have one question though - in a production setting, you can't just "boolean" one part from another, because you need to account for manufacturing tolerances. This fact is really what keeps bottom-up design alive. The world is chock full of "ten thou working clearances", so how do you recommend OS users account for that in this type of workflow?
    One option for modeled clearances right now, is to do a 'move face' after the boolean operation. That's what I often do in SolidWorks as well.

Dries
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I see... That would make more sense for molded/cast parts.

For machined parts it seems like a bit more work than just sketching in the actual dims in the first place (The B-U approach). This also allows for easy tol stacks and "shown/driving dimensions" on drawings. However, since neither of these down-stream capabilities are currently available in OS, the point is moot. "For now"...
  • Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    Hi.  The idea of a boolean with clearance is a topic we have been discussing.  Not a simple problem because you may want different offsets in different directions.  I think top down procedures can still work either with a move face, or by simply offsetting sketch entities.  Top down is still the approach that i would use because it simplifies updates and edits.  Its a great discussion worth having. 
  • RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    The links in the pdf mentioned in the OP are broken. 
    The links in the pdf mentioned in the OP are broken. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi, this is a very old thread and onshape has developed a lot since then. I'd recommend looking in the Learning Centre (under the help menu) instead.
    OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Yeah I was just really interested in how it worked so was looking forward to the additional content about it.