Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Bug in transform with mate connectors?

lni64lni64 OS Professional Posts: 38 ✭✭
It seems like the mate connector of the transformed part does not move with the part.

Mate connector defined on bearing

Mate connector defined on the plate

After moving the bearing, mate connector of bearing stays where it is:

Besides looking strange this prevents a further copy transform of the bearing

Regards
Lutz

Comments

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    lutz_niggl,yes,the mate connector can not move with its owner part together,because when you transform a part, the mate connector does not be transformed together,I think if there is a option that if the mate connector is transformed together , it is more flexible!
  • edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    The mate connectors that don't move can't be hidden. They stay visible even if you hide all mate connectors.  The resulting clutter degrades the look of the model on the screen. 

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Did you guys send in a ticket for this anomaly?
    //rami
    edward_petrillo,I also tried to hide these mate connectors , but I can hide them!
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @lutz_niggl, @3dcad, @edward_petrillo I believe that it may not be a bug because most of the times mate connectors act as a datum plane in Onshape. e.g. in section tool, constraining etc. As they are created before transform features, I believe it is right approach that they are not moving with transform.
    Suppose a datum plane is created coinciding to the part  and part is transformed in next feature, earlier created datum plane with respect to the part remains at the same position where it was created before. So, I guess transform by mate connector is working in similar way.
  • edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    @shanshan, I do not believe that you replicated the situation I described.  The mate connectors that will not hide are those that are owned by derived parts.  Mate Connectors owned by parts created within the parts studio can be hidden.
    @shashank_aarya, I am not concerned with whether the mate connectors move with the part, only that they cannot be hidden.  Without the ability to hide them, I cannot achieve a clean presentation of the model on the screen.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @edward_petrillo
    I agree: the inability to hide definitely needs to be addressed (and because of that, I'm confident it will be).
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Did you try to hide mate connector in original studio of derived part? Seems to work in my case, mate connector stays hidden also after deriving to another studio..
    //rami
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    The not transforming of the mate connector as well is a current limitation of the implementation.  The mate connectors are parametric in the part studio and as a result only move if they are told to.  The transform is being applied to the part which doesn't get all children of that parts.  We understand for derived part positioning this isn't ideal and we are looking to improve it.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • brian_wagenerbrian_wagener Member Posts: 19
    Is there a current way to work around this issue today?  I have run into it with my project.  I created a part that has multiple connector mates.  When I add to part studio using derive, and then transform it into place, all the connector mates are still at the origin, so that I can't transform anything else to the part, since the mates are not connected to part anymore.  
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Hide the derived feature in the feature tree on the left.  
  • peter_meilstruppeter_meilstrup Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    I run into this issue because I am trying to design a frame/enclosure to fit around off-the-shelf components. Is there a better workflow than what I'm trying?

What i'm trying now:

1. Import component from vendor's file
    2. Edit component in its part studio, adding mate connectors at useful landmarks
    3. add mate connector to frame where component should attach
    4. Import component into Frame part studio
    5. Place component in relation to frame using Transform by Mate Connector
    6. Continue to build Frame up to other landmarks on part.

But I can't do step 3 because the mate connectors I place in step 2 don't transition...
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    This is behaving as designed but there is an improvement to move it with the transform.  Edward.. that ticket URL only works for you and us.. not anyone.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

I ran into all these issues last week as well.

Since a mate connector always has an owner part .... it seems like it should move with the transformed part in the derived document.

A vote to prioritize the hide show fix and the mate connector fix.

• OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

Here is the scenario that I think is really important...

Create two parts in a part studio with mate connectors as key assembly target points...

Insert the two parts as separate derived features into a new part studio....

Translate the circular pad and then mate the hole in the square pad to the hole in the circular pad....but you can't because mate connectors have not moved.