Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

rendering question

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

I really like this rendering style and would like to use it with some of my projects.
Is this something I can do in onshape?
Or was this enhanced by the marketing folks?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You can use installed software like Keyshot or Maxwell or online system like Lagoa to achieve photo like images of your models.

That image looks pretty much Onshape workspace which is not bad at all and you can always fine tune with image processing software if needed.
    //rami
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad Have you tried Lagoa? Thanks for the info, I may well sign up for free account on Lagoa and try it out in due course on a rendering.
  • Options
    @peter_hall I've tried to try but since I have also Keyshot installed I didn't put enough effort into Lagoa to get anything done, same thing with Maxwell and Simlab. Keyshot is so straight forward to begin with.
    //rami
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Guys, don't forget about Clara.io. Clara.io is an Onshape partner, it is cloud rendering and modeling app. It is very similar to Lagoa, it share same idea of how to working with files (same as Onshape), which is as they say "Simultaneous multi-user editing. Always on versioning. Per-user permissions. Review tools.". What else, under the hood you have V-ray rendering and materials, full v-ray setup. That's not all Clara.io is also a polygonal modeler like max, maya or blender, and they offer free version which is same as Onshape and Lagoa, limited only on disk space and number of projects (here is one more difference between Clara.io and Lagoa. In Clara you have only 10 scenes, in Lagoa you get 10 projects, and projects can contain multiple scenes).
    There is one little problem in Lagoa you can import whole assembly as a step file and it works fine, in Clara I have problems with step imports. Clara tessellate steps with very low resolution and also skips spheres. That's way I had to use stl instead. In Onshape we can export entire assembly as stl... but here we have another problem. If we export assembly as one stl file, parts that intersects or touching each other will be a silngle mesh (at first whole assembly will come as a single mesh, but we can detach separate parts of mesh), which means you have to apply same apperance to whole mesh regardless of how it was build in Onshape... if we try to export from Onshape each part separate they will come centered on origin... What to do?
    In Onshape before export I try to give some space between parts, by moving them of offseting touching faces.
    One more thing, when I was importing assets to Clara.io I saw that they support .onshape format??? That indicates that maybe soon we will have some sort of life plugin for Onshape? Especialy that Onshape app store should launch soon.
  • Options
    christian_29christian_29 OS Professional Posts: 15 ✭✭
    3dcad said:
    @peter_hall I've tried to try but since I have also Keyshot installed I didn't put enough effort into Lagoa to get anything done, same thing with Maxwell and Simlab. Keyshot is so straight forward to begin with.
    what format do you use to get onshape models to load in Keyshot?
  • Options
    @christian_29  I've had best results using step.
    //rami
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I just tried using Lagoa with close to zero success. Importing my model as a parasolid it was all over the place, as a step file it helped but still didnt treat it as one part when in the Lagoa package. (even when I grouped together my assembly in Onshape before exporting as a step file) I will wait to see if there is a good partner to onshape to allow for easier rendering at a future date or do without rendering and just show customers a pdf taken directly from Onshape.
    So Onshape the more appearance tools the better please.
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Hi @peter_hall , don't give up so fast, working with Lagoa is so default.
    Take a look:
    First, for export use Step, if many parts, export them from assembly tab (no need of any extra grouping, go for default).
    In my example I've used Onshape sample file without any changes:

Second, open any project in Lagoa and just upload:

As you can see it came flipped but each part is a separate body, and you can apply new appearance (yes also just by drag'n'drop). To show that Lagoa reads steps from Onshape without a problem take a look at meshes names (bodys) in explorer window (other words properties manager, right panel) in shot below:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    In future I'd hope to see completely built-in rendering engine since I don't see any benefit of exporting models to render. I would like to able to move assembly within mates or change material in part studio and instantly see changes.

In keyshot decent pc renders screen in few secs (work quality) so I wouldn't mind if rendering was just a view like shaded-, section- and other views.

As the time goes and cloud power shows some of it's potential, I'm sure we will work all the time with high quality rendered model according to selected material. Like we do in real world.
    If you compare Onshape's render quality to early days wireframes, we have already moved closer to WYSIWYG workspace.. Like @pete_yodis often tends to say, imagine what it will be in 2, 5 or 10 years from now..

//rami
  • Options
    To paint the sky a bit further, at some point we might not have to switch between programs at all. First we might do some 3d modeling, then if we feel like image editing we just change the toolbar and work with image editor; then we might jump into text editor and write text around our 3d model / image and finally just select how we are going to share - webpage, message, memo, archive or so.. without any import / export / save / open / attach / add image / insert text / copy / paste -commands. Tomorrow's kids won't probably even recognize those commands.
    Everything happens in cloud and we don't need to worry about having the right software.. 
    //rami
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    In future I'd hope to see completely built-in rendering engine since I don't see any benefit of exporting models to render. I would like to able to move assembly within mates or change material in part studio and instantly see changes.

In keyshot decent pc renders screen in few secs (work quality) so I wouldn't mind if rendering was just a view like shaded-, section- and other views.

As the time goes and cloud power shows some of it's potential, I'm sure we will work all the time with high quality rendered model according to selected material. Like we do in real world.
    If you compare Onshape's render quality to early days wireframes, we have already moved closer to WYSIWYG workspace.. Like @pete_yodis often tends to say, imagine what it will be in 2, 5 or 10 years from now..

Love it @3dcad!  I think what you mention is entirely possible on a platform like this at some point in the future.  Certainly exciting.  It should remove the need for a separate workflow or workflows, and my kids won't know how good they have it :D .  Pretty cool to the users for increasing their efficiency - that's what it's always about in the end, more value to the users.  There is so much potential here on a platform like this.  Desktop will look so silly in due time.  The true power of Onshape is in the platform they are on.  Kudos to some foresight and going for it.  Impressive, and wow could it unlock a lot of potential for so many things that weren't considered because of the limits of local compute.  It's time for some mind expansion in "2, 5, AND 10 years from now".