Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sweep for 3d parts?

Hello

I have two 3d parts and now I need to take one part and use it as a "bullet" to pierce through the other one.
I basically want to use a part as a tool to create a whole with a particular shape.

So I made a path to the tool part to go along and tried the sweep command for two parts.
Unfortunately it didn't work since the sweep command is designed for sketches.

Should I make a sketch out of my 3d "tool part" or there is an easier way to achieve it?

Thanks a lot!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @alexander_potochkin
    There is currently no solid sweep capability in Onshape
    Converting (Use/Project) edges from one part to a sketch may be your best bet to create a profile for sweeping
    Without seeing your model it's not possible to provided a firm recommendation -  a lot depends on the shape of the "tool" part, and the nature of the sweep path

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for Solid Sweep
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Solid sweep would be cool for simulating using tooling bodies to cut geometry and reviewing the results...
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1

I have created a ticket up for voting, I'll post a link when available.
    //rami
  • alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Hello

I have created a simple test to illustrate what I am asking for:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/497294dde6d7430daccb07c4/w/35ba91b8cf2c45b49165a3a1/e/fba4be4331de47d78cf99bfd

I need to "sweep" or "extrude" the sphere following the line from its center to the center of the cube.
    So after that the cube should have a blind hole with rounded end.

My design is more complicated but this test illustrates it well.

If I make a sketch out of the sphere and extrude it I can get a blind hole in the cube .
    The problem is that hole has plain end when I need it to match the sphere (rounded end).

I can imagine that I can create another sketch and dissect my "tool 3d object" one more time
    and then somehow make the correct end of the hole.

This all sounds too complicated to me, so I am still under impression I am missing a very natural solution.

Any comments are very welcome!

Thanks

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @alexander_potochkin one approach is to use boolean subtract

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    Hello Nicolas

Thanks for your comment!

The boolean subtract is really the best solution to take out the 3d object out of another object.
    I wish the "extruding" of a 3d part would be possible and it will eliminate the need to make so many steps
    for this exercise.

If it is not possible for now I will use the plain/sketch/extrude/subtract solution.

Thanks again
    edited November 2015
    I can't think right now of any situations I would use a sweep with a straight path, other than to simulate (and as a perfectly satisfactory substitute, I reckon, for) "Extrude at Angle" (ie not perpendicular to the sketch plane.

In the example you give, I would probably just revolve a shape like this, specifying "Remove" in the same command: 

Alternatively

A quick way to add a hemisphere to the bottom of your cylindrical extruded cut would be to add a fillet to the bottom edge, specifying the same radius as your sphere

Hello Andrew

Yeah, I likely end up using what you suggested.

Thanks much and have a nice day!
    and thank you, alexander.
    Something about the people on this forum tends to make it fun and rewarding to help out, and there's a particularly nice line in new entrants, I reckon.

Incidentally, I remembered another situation where I would definitely use a sweep with a straight path at present:
    As a (reasonably satisfactory) workaround for the current inability to "Extrude up to vertex" in Onshape.
    I voted for this improvement.

Thanks!