Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Right click menu not fully fitting on screen

SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
Is anyone else having issues with the right click contextual menu often being too tall and not being able to use the top part without dragging the view so the part is lower on the screen?  I would love it if there were some way for the menu to alter its position so its always visible on screen, no matter how close your active part is to the top. I dont have a huge monitor so its something Im getting really often. 

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @skippy You must have pretty small screen and/or low resolution since I couldn't see the problem until resized to very small window (with 13" HD chromebook). Menu seems to appear either up or down direction from the point of RMB click, if it doesn't fit it will cut. The only solution would be anchoring in the middle in these cases.
    //rami
  • Options
    Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    @3dcad, @Skippy ,
    I get the same problem with RMB on the features menu - for instance, in your screenshot, if I chose sketch 2 then the menu appears 'upwards' and I wouldn't be able to choose 'edit' from the list. The top of the list is covered by the bar with hamburger icon. I have to scroll up the features list, then choose from lower in the list to make the menu fit. 

This isn't throw your toys out of the pram annoying, but it is pretty close. Basic comfortable UI stuff.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    This is something we are actively looking at and working on.  The issue is that there are effectively two states for context menus, they either expand down or expand up.  The system tries to expand down first and if it doesn't fully fit in the window the context menu will expand the other direction.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @3dcad, @Skippy ,
    I get the same problem with RMB on the features menu - for instance, in your screenshot, if I chose sketch 2 then the menu appears 'upwards' ..
    So your screen size vertically must be about the same as the menu size? I only could reproduce this if I resized browser window to about 1/4 of my 13" screen.. What is the size of your text?

Here is my 13" screen from top to bottom:

//rami
  • Options
    @lougallo @jakeramsley

I begin to test how chrome zooming affects on Onshape and I got to a situation where a simple RMB click would delete a feature. Menu flashed quickly and the pointer was on 'delete' as default and menu disappeared immediately and delete -command was performed (without LMB click).
    In this case I was zooming heavily in and menu couldn't fit into screen anymore.
    //rami
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    @lougallo @jakeramsley

I begin to test how chrome zooming affects on Onshape and I got to a situation where a simple RMB click would delete a feature. Menu flashed quickly and the pointer was on 'delete' as default and menu disappeared immediately and delete -command was performed (without LMB click).
    In this case I was zooming heavily in and menu couldn't fit into screen anymore.
    Context menus work in two ways.  The first is a single-click to open them and then left-clicking on the option.  The second is to mouse down the right button, which will open the context menu, then navigate over the option and release the right button.  The mix of the small offset from the mouse and the zoom is often picking up the first option it sees and treating it like the second scenario.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    .. The second is to mouse down the right button, which will open the context menu, then navigate over the option and release the right button.  ..
    I did not know this, this will save me a click on each sketch edit.
    Thanks for sharing!
    //rami
  • Options
    Well I have a 20" screen but I work in a window as I have other programs open at the same time and often switch between them. If i went full screen then I would come across the issue far less often so its partly how I work thats at fault.

Im not complaining about it, I was just curious if its effecting anyone else or if there was some trick to avoid it. I can imagine the problem is not an easy one to solve when onshape is running in a browser but its good to know its being looked at.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    @lougallo @jakeramsley

Thanks VERY much, @3dcad  -- I have been mystified by this for a couple of months, as it is both fleeting and intermittent.
    It just happened to me again, on my Chromebook, but unlike your situation, it was not "heavily" zoomed -  I was using (browser) zoom at 90%, on a 1366x768 screen

I would right-click on a sketch and the feature it was based on would instantly fail. (along with dependent down-stream features)
    It's a bit like being at the bedside of a patient in an Intensive Care Unit, who goes into multiple system failure with no prior warning.
    A user would have to be pretty alert to realise that the reason was that a single sketch had been deleted by that right-click, because on my system it happens almost before the RMB has time to display.

This is a serious misbehaviour, which I suspect is getting more prevalent as the RMB menu expands in length ... and I've submitted a sample model to Onshape Support under a Feedback ticket.
  • Options
    One reason it is intermittent is that it also depends on how far down the list the sketch or feature is. This in turn depends on scroll location, as well as how far down the screen the feature list tail has been dragged.

It is harder to stay on top of sneaky glitches in a package which is evolving continuously like Onshape, as opposed to the 'punctuated evolution' we are more used to.
    This is very noticeable (and can be frustrating and demotivating) in Google Chrome OS, and Google Docs.

Of course there are massive countervailing advantages, but Onshape need to recognise that users, even power users, are never going to feel as familiar and as attuned to the finer points of behaviour as someone who has time to become intimately acquainted with every foible of an essentially steady-state interface (a year or longer, in the case of many of us who took "holidays" from maintenance on other packages, sometimes five years or more).

This also has the potential to make power users less likely to report bugs, because it's hard to pin down a useful and definitive description of what's going wrong when the context is not well understood. It's a bit like trying to say which tool is missing on someone else's workbench, rather than your own. 

And I think that makes it all the more important to try to stamp out intermittent and fleeting glitches like this, at their earliest revelation. 
  • Options
    @andrew_troup  Can you post similar picture with 1366x768 as I did few comments up with 1920x1080. Just curios to see the difference..

@skippy I warmly recommend you second screen. I tried 2 screen setup ca. 7 years ago when I bought my first powerful laptop with 18" HD screen. I added another 20" monitor beside it and learn how to work bouncing stuff between screens - today I'm having difficulties to send email without 2. screen because it is SO nice to have all the necessary stuff on top.
    //rami
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
     Here's another issue with the drop downs.
    The Material drop down is quite annoying see below.
    Appears the the part I want to edit is always the last in the list.

• Options
    @da_vicki  very much true
    //rami
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    @andrew_troup  Can you post similar picture with 1366x768 as I did few comments up ....
    Here you go, @3dcad ..... and thanks for your persistent interest, which has helped me get to the bottom of what's happening in my case.

It's NOT about being zoomed in too far: it happens to me regularly when zoomed out slightly, and only happens repeatably on my Chromebook
    (90%, as mentioned above: if I revert to 100%, ie not zoomed in or out, the problem does not occur spontaneously)

and it happens ONLY when the list propagates upwards. (Which is a function of feature list length, and feature position on the list, and of RMB context menu length) 

In my second screenshot, where the list propagates downwards (even for a sketch, which has a  looong list of RMB options), the same behaviour does not happen spontaneously: in other words, I am not automatically presented with "Rename"

It's also not about an extra click: as you inferred above: a "Click-Drag-Release" option is being invoked by a single click, no matter how fast and crisply it is performed. It happens the same with a mouse as with a trackpad (which on the Chomebook requires a snakebite two-finger click).

However I cannot activate a "Click-Drag-Release" option using the Chrome Browser on my Windows laptop, and (presumably consequently) this bug hardly ever manifests itself on that combo, even when zoomed out to 90%

I had difficulties achieving the first screenshot without deleting Sketch 4, because the sketch was being deleted every single time I invoked the RMB menu.
     I had to discover a workaround (which users who encounter this problem should note):
    RMB on the feature, holding the button down, and drag away from the list into empty space, and release: this will leave the list open and selectable.

I haven't experimented to find out how to do this with a Chromebook trackpad: it won't be trivial!

(sorry the two screenshots are jammed together: I have not found a way to drag them apart
    You may recognise the document, @3dcad !)

• Options
    Thanks again, @3dcad, for your insight and your continued interest, impelling me to get to the bottom of this.

@lougallo tells me he's been able to reproduce this aberrant behaviour, and it does seem that it's the 90% zoom level which is the vital ingredient .... so now they should have enough info to work on a fix for this 

(I'm guessing it's only on Chrome Browser, on Chromebooks)
  • Options
    I'm guessing the same since my office pc doesn't open menu before releasing RMB.

3dcad said:
    @lougallo @jakeramsley

Context menus work in two ways.  The first is a single-click to open them and then left-clicking on the option.  The second is to mouse down the right button, which will open the context menu, then navigate over the option and release the right button.  The mix of the small offset from the mouse and the zoom is often picking up the first option it sees and treating it like the second scenario.

This is great feature to make editing features and renaming parts faster (saves a click per instance). Sadly this doesn't work with w10 + chrome.
    //rami
  • Options
    dave_hylands56273dave_hylands56273 Member Posts: 1
    I originally reported this problem back in April. The particular problem I was seeing had a slightly different twist than the original post here. In my case the menu was going "under" the bottom status bar or the upper menus. I also only saw my problem when using Firefox. It worked properly under Chrome (I'm running on Ubuntu 14.04).

I got an email today stating that the problem was fixed in the 1.38.12894.8b5e19d92 version (which is what's current as of the time I'm writing this).

I'd like to report that the problem seems to be fixed (both my problem and the problem reported in this thread). The menu now appears over the status bar and/or upper bars, and it seems make the menu fit on the screen in a resasonable fashion. The only time I have a problem now is when the window is sized smaller than the height of the menu, which is typically not a problem (unless they add a bunch more features :)
  • Options
    Yeah ive noticed they fixed this now. makes life so much easier