Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 17th, 2014

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
edited December 2014 in New in Onshape
Update day is here and there are a number of great additions to share with you all.  This update includes improvements to existing features and a few new experiences around the version/history buttons and readonly version viewing.  Take a look...

Highlights:
  1. New Chamfer options (custom angles/distances)

2. Input expressions in dialogs (Most requested improvement to date) (More...)

3. New Transform/Copy feature

4. Moved Menu, Version and History buttons up to navbar with flyout behavior and added a Return to Workspace link when viewing readonly versions.

Before:

After:

When viewing a Version: (Ability to Return to Workspace link)

5. New Tutorials & Samples filter for the Documents page.

6. Don't create empty features in my Feature list! (Ok we won't!)

We are continuing to work on the Single Sign On (SSO) for the forums and I will post an announcement once it is ready.  Keep the great feedback coming and we are working hard on the next update coming in a few more weeks!  ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great Improvements :) keep them coming.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Transform >> Hurray!
    Expressions and fractions >> Hurray!

Dries
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Phenomenal work guys!
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Thank you for the feedback and we are feverishly working on the next update!!
    edited December 2014
    @LouGallo - Not a super high priority, but can you guys put the exhaustive list of input commands in the help at some point in time? I know it says "Trigonometric functions are supported", but to my surprise, it recognizes "pi" as well! Awesome!
  • matthew_loew_1matthew_loew_1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Great update!

Expressions are in now (need list of functions please); adding in relations (to dimensions and parameters) next?
    Also really need to be able to make reference (driven) dimensions to take advantage of relations.
    Matthew Loew
    Tera Development Solutions
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Big thanks to @RaymonBaek for putting this together while testing out the functionality.  We will get this into the docs too.
    Inputs for expressions. Best to think units as part of input parameters. Thus, units can result in powers (in^2, cm^3, etc.) If the end result does not end in a unit, it will fail.PEMDASAccepted:Unitless expressions(all unitless PEMDAS expressions are taken in with no problemEx: 3+(2*3)/6Single unit (single units are accepted in PEMDAS expressions if the expressions end with a unit to the single power3mm + (2mm*3mm)/(6mm)3mm + 2mmMultiple units are accepted if the end result is a unit to the single power3[unit] + 3[unit]Not accepted:Single units3in*3inMultiple units3 + 3in (because unitless + unit does not compute)3[unit]*3[unit] (results in [unit]^2, which is not accepted)
    TrigonometryAccepted:Unitless parameterssin(30)sin(asin(1))arc trigsatan(1)atan(1)/degasin/acos/atan returns a deg, so must divide by deg in order to get a unitless valueNot accepted:32*tan(30deg)*in/(10mm)Bug that is resolved, testingsin(30)/degThis will result in a 1/deg unit, which is not accepted. Anything resulting in 1/[unit] is not acceptedA unit over a unit if there is a separate unit3[unit]+1[unit]/2[unit]
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Great update!

Expressions are in now (need list of functions please); adding in relations (to dimensions and parameters) next?
    Also really need to be able to make reference (driven) dimensions to take advantage of relations.
    Seconded.
    I'm really curious to know how expressions (with relations, parameters...) will be managed in Onshape...

Dries
    Relation-based parameters will be very important and the nature of our platform bakes in the ability to have global variables.  There are a lot of ideas being compiled in this area and we do have a lot of requests for this.
  • bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    FYI, we moved the 3 buttons up to the navbar so you can see more of the files you upload - PDF files, images, etc.  Your files now get all the space between the navbar at the top and the tabs at the bottom.
    Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Here are a few more things that should work in expressions:
    • max(2, 3), min(2, 3)
    • 2^3
    • abs(-4)
    • sqrt(2 in * 3 m)
    • log, log10  (natural and base 10 logs)
    • sinh, cosh, tanh, asinh, acosh, atanh
    • exp(2)
    • floor, ceil, round
    • atan2(4, 5)  (gives the polar angle of (5,4) in as an angle)
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    This is all cool:
    trig is in degrees not radians .5=sin(30)
    pi=3.142.......
    1mm+1in=26.4

this doesn't work:
    1mm+1"=?
    1mm+1'=?

why not:
    len=5 which evaluates to 5
    and use len which evaluates to 5

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I'm eagerly awaiting annotations and trying everything I can think of to document my models in the mean time. One nice little trick I found is that PEMDAS accepts c style comments so I've been leaving little breadcrumbs for myself embedded in the dimensions. Particularly for dimensions that are key parameters. "25mm/*Receiver Dia*/" or "15mm/*18 MAX*/" are examples. (put it after the units otherwise it will get wrapped in parenthesis.)
    Yes, I like how the equation is retained too! Wen you edit the value again, your original equation is retained, not just the value... Very cool!
  • len_1962len_1962 Member Posts: 19 EDU
    I want an option to not keep the equation, because as a machinist we get hand sketches and have a lot of running dimensions from students and faculty.

just need to get the final number and if I have to change the dim, I do not care about all the dims that made up the final because of the design intent of the part.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    len_1962 said:
    I want an option to not keep the equation, because as a machinist we get hand sketches and have a lot of running dimensions from students and faculty.

just need to get the final number and if I have to change the dim, I do not care about all the dims that made up the final because of the design intent of the part.
    I agree @len_1962 , sometimes I will use the key pad as a calculator not caring for retention of the expression, just want he final number not how I got. Would be a nice option. However other on other occasions it nice to retain the expression. I raised ticket (2249).
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977