Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I'm new to CAD. What workflow should I use to create this roof jack?

I need to create a part similar to the image. What would that workflow look like? I'm very new to CAD. I've done most of the tutorials on here, but I think I may need a loft. Any pointers would be a big help.

Best Answer

Answers

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Loft is the main feature you need to use here. There is some text on the part surface for which option is available in sketch.
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Draw the rectangle on top plane, extrude 1mm or whatever thickness. sketch bottom of cone (oval shape) using extruded face as plane. Create a plane offset from top plane by height of cone (100mm?) and draw a small circle for top of cone. Then use loft to loft between oval and small circle. That should work although I seldom use loft. I am sure someone like @nav will provide a video, sorry I dont know how to do them. :s Ifthe top of the coned part is not on a parallel plane to bottom base rectangle you will need to tilt the plane by a desired angle before drawing top small circle.
  • michael_moore728michael_moore728 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for the help. The video proved unbelievably helpful. Thanks to everyone for the help.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @viru's excellent example showed guide curves, which are essential if you want to control how the loft flows between profiles.
    For instance, in you OP, it might be that the left end has a slightly concave silhouette when you look across the loft. If so, the left guide curve would need to be curved to match.

But if your guide curves are straight lines, you will often get by without them, particularly if the two profiles have the same number of entities

That is not the case here, and that's probably why viru, who definitely knows what he's doing, included guide curves.