Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Trying to create a sweep that changes shape as it follows the path

andersanders Member Posts: 4
I am trying to model a wing but when i try to make the profile with a sweep it leaves flat spaces down the wing:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84af1ad065c643e68dde8958/w/dfe821d4f0d34ae59f83b4ee/e/ed4e94c7f875463d96654237

I want my curves end point to stretch to the middle line while still keeping the main curvature.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• andersanders Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2015
    Thank you very much it was what i wanted to do. I went ahead and tried your method for myself and it thaught me alot about onshape :)
    It is indeed an aircraft, i am trying to model a skeleton of a plane so that i can print the drawings and create a radiocontroller version of it. I haven't come that far yet though only have the one wing
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2015
    @andrew_troup guide curves can be used with the loft. I have been surprised by what can be achieved with this command. Checkout the body on this, a point to point loft with 1 elliptical profile and 2 guide curves.  

edit* this different to the sweep as mentioned above, sweep does not have guide curves, loft however does have guide curves and may be used in some scenarios to achieve the desired result that sweep will not.d

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @brucebartlett

I should perhaps have been more clear in the latter stages of my post:
    I guess I thought it was self-evident that lofts (unlike sweeps) DO permit guide curves.

Nice model, BTW!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @andrew_troup I think I just confused loft and sweep. I will edit my post.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • T_OdaT_Oda Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hi @anders,  I am happy that it is help of you.

Speaking of 'Sweep', it is simple command and make a simple surface.
    In Part 'bolt M10' of 'bolt and nut M10'

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7d889a653d1c4b3883cb97e8/w/65003e9ea8434b75a7a36ecb

I use 'Sweep1' using 'Sketch 5' and 'Helix 1' and get a spiral solid.
    The face outside of screw is merged with cylinder surface which has the same external diameter to be one face.
    When I do the same thing in SolidWorks, they remain different faces, not to be one face.