Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I escape the current line without escaping the entire Line function?

chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
Example:  If I want to draw 2 separate lines on a sketch, I start by drawing the first line.  At the end of the first line, a new line is automatically started.    I now need to escape the Line, then go back to enable the Line command again, then start a new line.

Is there a way to avoid disabling the Line command completely, and instead only escape the extended line that Onshape is trying to generate?

Best Answers

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Answer ✓
    tips
    1. Try and click hold-drag and that will create a single line segment
    2. If you did not do step one go back and hover over the last point made by the line tool and double click to terminate the line but stay in the line command

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @BenE @andrew_troup Yep, if you dont want to drag you can click to start line then double click to finish line. This leaves you in the line command but you can move location before clicking once to start next line ...and so on.

Answers

I toggle between the shortcuts e and l , those shortcuts I use a lot.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Short cut key L will help you to toggle between activation and deactivation of line command.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @chris_8

There are two line drawing modes, Click-click, and click-drag. The latter works for discrete lines, such as you want to draw. 

Left-Click where you want to position the start point of the line, drag (keeping LMB down) to the endpoint, then release to place the endpoint.

Now, without needing to escape or reactivate the line tool, you can relocate to a new start point elsewhere, without drawing a line in the meantime, and start the process again.
  • chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    @peter_hall & @shashank_aarya Thanks for your replies and help.   I'm still using the toolbar for too many things. 

@andrew_troup I'm amazed how much clicking I've done in OS without realizing the difference between click-click and click-drag. Probably it was in a tutorial from day 1 and I didn't notice. Thanks!
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Answer ✓
    tips
    1. Try and click hold-drag and that will create a single line segment
    2. If you did not do step one go back and hover over the last point made by the line tool and double click to terminate the line but stay in the line command

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @BenE. I didn't know about step 2; I've sometimes wished for such a capability. 

I do vaguely recollect something like that, perhaps from SW?
    Answer ✓
    @BenE @andrew_troup Yep, if you dont want to drag you can click to start line then double click to finish line. This leaves you in the line command but you can move location before clicking once to start next line ...and so on.