Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Replicating objects on Onshape

irene_riversirene_rivers Member Posts: 17
Does anyone have any detailed, simple instructions as to how to to replicate a rook like the one of the link below:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/98/03/a69803e6eb649618ee3a4fbcd5377e1a.jpg

Comments

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want the masonry look on cylindrical and conical faces, as shown, it seems to me your instructions are unlikely to be both detailed and simple.

Everything else is straightforward.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Simple profile sketch & revolve gets you pretty close but masonry details will take some time to perform. Very good project to get into 3d / Onshape world =)

If I needed to replicate this (in/outside), I would probably model tile and use circular pattern, this would also produce more realistic data what is needed to build one (from bricks not 3dprint).. 
    //rami
  • irene_riversirene_rivers Member Posts: 17
    After much consideration, I've decided to keep all of my chess pieces uniform with a simple design.
    Does anyone have any instructions for replicating the rook like the one of the link below:
    http://images2.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_946298_5950160_1429679494.jpg

I already have the base and a cylinder on top, but I don't know how to make it "slanted", as well as the top part of the rook.

I'll probably be asking more questions in the future regarding chess pieces, so stay tuned!!!
    Thank you to all who have helped so far :)
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Make a sketch of 1/2 the profile like so.

Then revolve like so.

See video and link >> ( Rook ) for the slots.

3.gif 9.2M
    This forum is amazing, nothing to add @DaVicki 's great representation.

//rami
    edited January 2016
    Thank you so much, that was amazing!!

Just another quick question: does anybody know how to do the upper part of the bishop?
    http://images4.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_409222_8883560_1429671673.jpg

I have no problem building the foundation, but I've been having the same problem with my pawn, with the sphere on top.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Thank you so much, that was amazing!!

Just another quick question: does anybody know how to do the upper part of the bishop?
    http://images4.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_409222_8883560_1429671673.jpg

I have no problem building the foundation, but I've been having the same problem with my pawn, with the sphere on top.
    Looking at the bishop, it is mostly the same profile revolved around the enter axis and then an angled rectangle taken out of the top.

I would suggest uploading the image you attached to your onshape document and then inserting it into a sketch.

1. Upload the file to your document.  Start a sketch and select insert image.

2. The insert image dialog will pop up and you select the file name.  This will allow you to sketch a rectangle of what you want.

3. Sketch the rectangle that bounds your image.  I like symmetry so I tied the rectangle to be about the origin.  I did this by selecting the origin first, then two opposite corners and chose mid-point.  This forces the origin to be half-way between the two points.  I then sketched a vertical line for my axis of revolution (and dimensioned it to get some idea of scale).  From here I made a horizontal line on the bottom for a base then used a single spline to trace the outline of the bishop.  Mine was a bit rushed and sloppy, but is editable.

4. Revolve the profile you created about the vertical line.  This will create the majority of the bishop.

5. Because we revolved about a line tied to the origin, I decided to use one of the default planes to cut away at the top.  I sketched on the front plane and made a construction line that was about the center then made perpendicular lines to make a region.

6. Extrude the profile in both directions through all and set the type to remove.  This will cut away at the top.

The result is more or less a bishop.

Because this is something somewhat artistic, I mostly eye-balled everything.  While no one has ever confused me with being an artist, it is a quick and easy way to trace something.  If you are hoping for specific dimensions then you can go about and add dimensions.  Likewise, if you don't want the thing to be just one spline you can break up the profile into lines, splines, and arcs.
    1.png 76.9K
    2.png 60.8K
    3.png 241.5K
    4.png 152.3K
    5.png 121K
    6.png 125.4K
    7.png 115.9K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    How can I apply the same technique for the rook?

• cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    When we have a full Set, anyone fancy a game
    edited February 2016
    Does anyone have any idea on how to replicate the knight:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/de/bc/57/debc579430e74bb9749f5922c29cee1c.jpg

I'm almost done the chess set, just have to figure out how to replicate the knight and queen.  A little help please!
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Replicating the knight is certainly possible, but it will be a bit of work. The base is just a simple revolve, the upper part is a little more work. I think I would start by drawing a side profile, then extrude that symmetrically to the width of the upper part of the base. Then create a new sketch to extrude remove from the sides to have the tapered shape from the base and to the top. Then you'd just have to create the rest of the features with various sketches and extrudes/sweeps to carve out of the base shape. Just remember that you can mirror from one side to the other.  :-)

There is no (very) quick way to do this, it will be some work until you get it right, or at least close enough. The devil is in the details on this one, the base shape is quick and easy as I described.

edited February 2016
    Alright thanks!  Are there any other ideas to tackle this project (knight)?  
    I realize that it will take some adjustments because you can't simply revolve half of the image.

How about the queen:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0cpp6rjruOU/UC4mwj4AINI/AAAAAAAAO3o/gKxk35SaNq4/s1600/332px-StauntonQueen2.jpg

I know that I'll have to revolve around the base, but would I have to trace the outline of only half of the picture; this is using the same technique that was mentioned earlier in this discussion.
    Does anyone know an easier method of replicating the knight?
    I haven't tried this yet, but I'm planning on drawing half of the top of the knight, revolve it, and then glue both halves together to form the top part.
    At the moment, I don't think I'll be printing the knight in one shot.
    I've completed my chess set now.  All I need to to is print out the chess board itself and make sure that it interconnects between each piece!
    Any ideas on how to make that?  I found someone else's files and I'm planning on printing that, but I'd like to try creating one myself.
    edited April 2016
    Why print, just create assembly with planar mates to the board and share with another player =)

ps. Is this project public? I would like to actually try online game in Onshape..
    //rami
    @3dcad now that's a cleaver concept,  Onshape board games!!

_Ðave_
    I'll make my pieces public, so feel free to use them :D 
    I can't take the credit for the rook and knight because I used files from thingverse.
    Everything else are my own pieces.
    I'm not sure how to make the chess board, although I did find some cool files on thingverse.
    Any ideas?  A little help please.
    @irene_rivers
    Without any further thinking I would say draw a square, extrude to part and use pattern to create a board from many pieces, then use part color to make it chess board.

Can you please share a link to your project?
    //rami