Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I put a multiple holes in a circular pattern on a cylinder

cedric_orejolacedric_orejola Member Posts: 2
edited December 2015 in Using Onshape
I am struggling with adding multiple holes around the outside of a cylinder. The circular pattern only lets you work on the plane you are sketching. Is there a way to have a hole applied to the outside but using the circular pattern on a plane normal to the circle?

Answers

• Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    cedric_orejola,there are two kinds of pattern in Onshape, one is in the sketch as you metioned , the other one is the feature list include face pattern and part pattern,please see the below video ,hope  it is helpful to you!

• Options
    cedric_orejolacedric_orejola Member Posts: 2
    shanshan  That was very helpful! thanks a lot
  • Options
    daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    shanshan said:
    cedric_orejola,there are two kinds of pattern in Onshape, one is in the sketch as you metioned , the other one is the feature list include face pattern and part pattern,please see the below video ,hope  it is helpful to you!

May I ask what program or app you used to create that animated GIF?

Couldn't you save a few steps by making a blind hole with the hole tool then using the circular pattern tool?

Also wanted to mention for anyone else searching out how to do this, the circular tool is not located in dropdown menu as part of the pattern tool. 

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @daniel_chow

For Gif recorders see https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/13813#Comment_13813

I haven't tried but I would have done the same as @shanshan because unless it changed recently the pattern tool doesn't accept features. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    daniel_chow, I like using “LICEcap” for recording video which format is GIF, it is very convenient, you can try !
  • Options
    Link to public document

Does anyone know how to use the hole tool to make a circular pattern around a spherical object? I can do this using the method posted by shan in the above post. But I've been trying to use the hole tool to create a circular pattern: 

• Options
    daniel_chow, please click "face pattern" in the dialog box of "Circular pattern", and choose all the faces of the hole in "entities to pattern"!in your model ,the hole depth is too big ,that's why you could not pattern the hole, please check it !

• Options
    Thank you Shan it worked!

And for anyone else searching up how to do this, be sure to check out this onShape tutorial on making a pipe flange
    https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/lets-make-a-pipe-flange

You'll use the revolve feature to draw a round object, then use the circular pattern tool to patter a hole around the flat surface of the flange. This tutorial will only take < 10 min drawing the model from scratch. It offers a third way of using the pattern tool different from the two method discussed above. 

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    One trick you can do when doing a face pattern of holes is to use the "Create selection..." tool on the context menu.  With the hole option selected, the system tries to infer the hole based on a single face selected.  This way you should be able to get all faces of the hole.

1. Right click on the canvas and choose 'Create selection...'

2. In the 'Create selection' tool, click the drop down and choose 'Hole'.  This will try to infer a hole based on the faces selected.

3. Select one of the faces of the hole.  Notice that the rest of the faces should highlight as well.

4.  Click 'Add selection'.  Notice that your one selection has now put in four selections in the circular pattern dialog.

1.png 158.6K
    2.png 170.3K
    3.png 186.9K
    4.png 185.9K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    jakeramsley I have not noticed "creat selection" until you mentioned it, thanks for sharing , it is more convenient!
  • Options
    Yes, thank you, will try later tonight!