Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

think I found a bug

titus_nicolaetitus_nicolae Member Posts: 4
It's easy to reproduce:
draw a circle,
draw a rectangle around the circle
make the circle and rectangle tangent
so you end up with a circle in a square
draw a vertical or horizontal diameter.
revolve one of the rounded corners around the diameter

It gives an error that it self intersects
Tagged:

Comments

• titus_nicolaetitus_nicolae Member Posts: 4
    same happens when i draw a rectangle, draw a diagonal and revolve one of the triangles round an edge that is not part of the triangle
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    It's hard to understand what you are trying to model based on the description, but it sounds like you are trying to create geometry that joins at an edge or a vertex, technically called non-manifold topology and impossible to manufacture?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    It happens only when we give full revolve(360 degree).
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    The issue if you are trying to make an infinitely thin point in your revolve.  You essentially will have a vertex on the middle of a planar face by doing this which can't be done.  It's also not something that can be created in the real world.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    I'll add something on top like a cube and the thickness is no longer an argument. From my perspective I should be able to model whatever I want. Validating the model for manufacturability should be a different matter
    Even 180 degrees revolve doesn't make the model any more manufacturable than a 360 degree. I see it as a bug that should be addressed at one point. BTW, It's a really great product. I really want it to flourish.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    It's not a bug as such. It has to be a valid solid to solve and no brep modelers can do this. If you are putting a cube on top, do it first. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI