Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing capabilities still not there for me.

2»

Comments

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    I also think the 3rd party option takes longer to realise the issues and give the user what they really need. Keep it in house!
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    3dcad said:
    Yep, also Alibre struggled with drawings like 10 years to get it right (features+stability+performance)
    And still has a few missing 2D drawing features that can be important for even semi-pro users.  But at least Onshape is asking for and acting on user input.  GMD developers seem to have lost interest in what users think.
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    .......But at least Onshape is asking for and acting on user input.  GMD developers seem to have lost interest in what users think.
    I agree. GMD has gone the way of many CAD programs and stopped listening. One of the many great things about OnShape is that it is reacting to what the user needs. After all we are at the sharp end.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @michael3424
    I agree too and same ignorance applies to resellers.. sad but true
    //rami
  • Options
    shawn_peteshawn_pete Member Posts: 3
    I saw someone asking for the ability to section an existing view, instead of creating a child view to get a section - I second that.
    I would also like to be able to add parameters to parts, assemblies and drawings and then be able to access those in drawing titleblocks and tables.  For instance, I would like to create a table for an assembly that would populate with parameters like Part Number, Description, Specification and Material/Vendor.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @shawn_pete
    I suppose your after BOM (bill of materials), there is something for this in appstore - but I agree that we should be able to add bom into drawings as well.
    //rami
  • Options
    lowjacklowjack Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I would have to second most of the above requests, with emphasis on being able to dimension centerline to centerline. That is an absolute must for my use. BOMs are important, and pulling dimensions from those used in sketches (via "model items" in SW) would not only be a huge timesaver, it would make model changes much easier. Hole callouts would be a timesaver as well, though I could probably survive without those.
  • Options
    hagen_nieberdinghagen_nieberding Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    The list of improvements for drawings is long. Some of mine in no particular order are:

Virtual sharps, 
    Dimensioning to shape's produced by projected spline's (without the workaround of splitting faces)
    View's displayed as shaded
    Ability to insert a picture to a drawing
    PCD, no easy workaround
    Better ways to add lines and points connected to view geometry for dimensioning, so at least you could have a workarounds for the likes of PCD dimensioning. 
    Properties/meta data linked to template. No typing of part description, part no.,etc,
    Paste to table, so I can copy out of a excel spread sheet into a table, or even better a link to a google sheet segment displayed in a drawing table.
    Balloon linked to parts and BOM's. Balloon linked to part to display item no. or meta data.

Speed, I thinks it's getting better, but I have had issues in the past with very slow drawings.

Sure I've missed heaps but these are the ones that come to mind.

Hi there,

I'm new to OnShape, but I love the concept! Since I'm a serious Linux user, I now finally have a CAD system that I can use without Virtualbox! Very cool.

The modelling part of Onshape is pretty good, although I've yet to do real complex stuff. The part that missing for me is the documentation portion of Onshape, i.e. making drawings and other documentation to communicate design concepts to suppliers, customers and so on. I agree with the list of brucebartlett, in particular the transfer of meta data from model to drawing, the ballon linking to parts and BOM, and the export and import of BOM.

Cheers!
    Hagen
  • Options
    murray_woodsmurray_woods Member Posts: 1
    guy_4 said:
    I know is completely different sort of CAD software package but Vectorworks has some fantastic presentation tools in its repertoire. Real freedom to create graphic and technical drawings and as most of the people who I deal with don't how to read a technical drawing the graphic side is really important. (A picture tells a thousands words and all that.....)
    Hear hear! I have used Vectorworks almost exclusively for 15+ years entirely because of its presentation capabilities for non-technical customers. But the modelling interface, while usable, is not up to par with Onshape etc. But in OnShape  I cannot even draw a circle in a drawing (e.g. to show a PCD centreline).
    OS Drawings needs to mature to the point that Drawings has (as an absolute minimum) all the functionality of Sketches, plus rendered views from any viewpoint, etc, etc. For this reason I cannot yet use OnShape as my go-to production tool, as much as I like the modelling environment!
  • Options
    william_martin040william_martin040 Member Posts: 1
    I was really disappointed to see that a tapped hole in a part does not automatically get a proper call out of that hole in the drawing.  I can't accept the software until there is a way to have a dimension type of "hole" that pulls the Thread Diameter, Pitch, Depth Countersink etc
  • Options
    david_gregorydavid_gregory Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Hi-

I'd like the to show the bolt circle in a drawing so it can be dimensioned.  The circle is drawn in a sketch, and then hole features are patterned.   How do i do this?

Also, is there a way to show countersink dimensions in the same note as a hole diameter for a countersink created with the hole tool?

You can checkout my example part/drawing here:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/973f6a750c5f7719fb9dd558
  • Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    hagen_nieberding Hi Hagen, This is Oleg Shilovitsky. We are developing openBoM. With regards to your comment above, did you try to export BOM using openBoM? Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.