Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Thicken a (lofted) surface

Xavier_3Xavier_3 Member Posts: 6
edited February 2016 in Community Support
Hi,

I'm trying to model a funnel to help me pour coffee into a Bialetti filter. As the Bialetti is some kind of octagonal / circular shape I'm running into trouble modelling that shape (Not that I really need to functionally but I wanted to make a nod to Bialetti iconic shape.)

I started by modelling the surface of the middle & top part by sketching circles for the middle part and octagons for the top part and then lofting all sketches into surfaces that looks ok. I'm running into problem when I try to turn those surfaces into a solid. Just thickening the surface does not work (I understand that there would be some non-obvious issues at surface intersections). I then added some kind of "inside surface" with the hope of then filling the space in-between both surface with again a loft. But to no avail.

How would you proceed to 'thicken' such a surface?

PS: How can I link to an Onshape document?

Best Answer

Answers

• øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Linking is easy, just copy the URL of your document and paste it here. And the document needs to be public, of course. I'm sure someone can look at it and come up with some good suggestions.
  • Xavier_3Xavier_3 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2016
    I looked at your document, and while I am not entirely sure what you really want to be the final result, you can thicken all the surfaces, like so:

Now, that gives you a strange looking shape the transition between the upper octagonal part and the circular part. You can the use the 'replace face' command on the bottom part of the strange shapes, and replace that face with the circular face. That will give you yet another strange shape inwards in the model, but you can easily just use extrude remove on that, and the final result is then like so (everything booleaned together):

Not sure if that helps you at all, though.  :-)

Excellent. You did achieve what I was trying to do. I'll give it a go tonight.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Quite often in these circumstances it is better to loft a solid then use the shell command afterwards. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Very nice (and useful) to see the different methods to achieve similar results. :-)
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Onshape don't have many tools that are useful for product design... but if we know the boundaries of the current toolset we can always adjust our workflow.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Love this community - here is my contribution - the 'P' key is your friend (hide/show planes) :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited February 2016
    Thanks all for your comments and help. I indeed wasn't using the replace feature. I'm not quite confident with it yet but knowing it exists and understanding that first use case should help me incorporate this feature in my modelling, thanks! Thanks also for the hide/show plane shortcut, I do not know how I was able to live without it.

I had my part printed (Actually, I directly printed michał_1 part as his modification of my document was precisely my design intent ;) )

It came out as intended but I wouldn't say it's gonna be as useful as I envisioned it :P In the morning I always spill coffee grinds on my counter and I was hoping this little funnel could help me make less a mess. It works but it is not as convenient as I was hoping. Maybe a small incorporated leveller could be nice to level the grind surface?

• wayne_poh542wayne_poh542 Onshape Employees Posts: 1
    I have tried  just lofted the octogonal shape, and use revolve remove the round area. this will give a better transition.
    After the shape is form in solid, use the Shell command to hollow out the cavity.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4bd28ef4ca62adf3f7e7c714/w/507bd2f1e3f5e472745b3e46/e/7ac