Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Equations in dimensions

arturs_ziprisarturs_zipris OS Professional Posts: 27 PRO
Hello, I saw that improvement request is completed, but can not find how to make equations in dimensiosn. Any help will be appriciated.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    edited February 2016
    To use an equation in a dimension, you still use the dimension tool but instead of entering in the value, enter in the equation that you want to use.

Here is an example using a variable that was created earlier:

• arturs_ziprisarturs_zipris OS Professional Posts: 27 PRO
    @robert_morris  Thanks so far, but I would like to see something like this https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/whats-new-10-13-2015. Just did not find it before. 
  • arturs_ziprisarturs_zipris OS Professional Posts: 27 PRO
    @brucebartlett but why You do not like official video? I posted this quaestion only because could not find it. Suppose there is nothing better than official videos. :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @arturs_zipris, yes the video is good, just watched it, or part of it but I think though a picture may be a quicker to grasp the concepts. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2016
    Good tip for creating a bunch of variables is to rollback whole feature list and use shift+enter when accepting > that will immediately continue with another new variable.

Remember to think names twice, at the moment you can't change without rewriting all equations.
    //rami
  • jeremie_bertinjeremie_bertin Member Posts: 1
    Shouldn't this be possible? Is there a workaround? I want to have 1 dimensions (width) as my "driving" dimension. If that value changes down the road, all the geometry will update based on the functions.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @jeremie_bertin
    Looks like you probably have a units error -- if you get rid of the parenthises (just #Width + 1/8 in) it should work.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc