Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sketch has to been between extents of extrude?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
Is it a limitation that the sketch plane has to lie in between the extents of the extrude?
I have a single sketch that I want to reuse because its the same profile, but I want to have different start and stop planes.
I tried this with planes too.
Any time the sketch is not between the planes the extrude goes red.
Am I missing something obvious?

Best Answer

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    No, it is not required.  Try making your first end direction bigger than the second (ie. set the first depth to be 13in and the second direction depth to be 1in).  It looks like you are trying to make the extrude inside-out by accident.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Yep, I like to think it like first you create the complete body and then cut the tail.
    //rami
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    If I create a new part with a simple case I can get the extrude to work properly, but I am struggling with the real part. Not sure if there is a bug. I am going to walk through and make sure everything looks correct before submitting a bug report.
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I've already drawn this geometry in CATIA V3, CATIA V4, CATIA V5, CATIA V6, and Fusion 360. No issues in any of the other modelers. I am going to go back and take a look to make sure I haven't unintentionally missed something.