Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export to STEP or SLDPRT, thread/hole characteristics wrong

josh_mutusjosh_mutus Member Posts: 2
When I exported a simple part to STEP or SLDPRT, the 2-56 threaded holes I had created in the part didn't make it when I imported the part into solidworks. They were identified by solidworks as M1.6 clearance holes. 

I don't know if this works, but here's a link to the part:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d31c6618f560496ff0ae515c/w/4e5e9d511ca91e3db916c3e4/e/b4c5bf58b3e60d4b2b9b872d

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    I exported and re-imported no problem? Is it that you want the part in inches? If so, just change the units of the file in SolidWorks.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • josh_mutusjosh_mutus Member Posts: 2
    Did you check the part in solidworks? I never tried re-importing, but when I examined the part in solidworks, all the threads were wrong...
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hi, no i haven't checked the file, but a hole feature created in Onshape will only export as a cylindrical face and will not show as a "hole" in SolidWorks. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    Are you using the "Feature detection" in SolidWorks when you're importing the file? That is another part of the problem.

When you create a threaded hole in Onshape, the diameter of the hole that you see in the part is the diameter of the tap drill. In your case, the tap drill for a #2-56 thread is a diameter of 0.7in (or 1.778mm). Since the actual thread information is not exported out, when you open the file in SolidWorks it is only seeing that 1.778mm diameter hole and not the threads. The size of a clearance hole for a M1.6 screw is usually 1.7 - 1.8mm, so when Solidworks runs it's feature detection function, it just assumes those holes are clearance holes for a M1.6 screw.

Hope that helps to explain what you are seeing.