Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 29th, 2016

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
edited March 2016 in New in Onshape
In this latest update we've focused on adding some highly requested, additional sharing permissions, some nice improvements to the Documents page, and improved interoperability with older 2D CAD systems. Enjoy!

1. NEW Grid View and enhanced thumbnails in the Documents page.

https://youtu.be/ShT1cQpRVIc

2. NEW Mirror Feature.

https://youtu.be/rj82n6qHmrM

3. NEW No sign-in shareable links and no copy/download share permissions.

https://youtu.be/E_nKscinyUw

4. IMPROVED Mate display.

https://youtu.be/LCrYZdeOCKY

5. IMPROVED DXF/DWG Export options for drawings.

https://youtu.be/YW6l6RJ0eyQ

Honorable mentions:
  • You can now set Part Studio Properties by right-clicking the Part Studio tab and selecting Properties. This process is now consistent across Part Studios, Assemblies, and Drawings.

• The Create version button added in the last update () now displays the Create version dialog, giving you the opportunity to add a name and description, set Properties for the entire document, or cancel without creating a version.

• 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse and CadMouse devices are now officially supported for Onshape on Mac OS. Download the latest drivers from http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html
We hope you enjoy using these new features - as always, all feedback is welcome. Waiting for a particular new feature? Please use the Feedback tool to request it - we're already hard at work on the next round of updates for you!  

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Awesome, very happy with the new view only settings. Now we can share with peace of mind.

And the no login share will also reduce the hurdles for access when sharing with non CAD users. 

Thanks
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Feature Mirror!!!

I've tested it here:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d810a2a71c203a8c5ce21b8/w/5bfd8c89e923fe567c239476/e/638b792bbf6fa0193a18f715

This will save me approx 50% time on creating some of my parts.
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Well done, The no log in share will be a great way to share a 3D model with non Cad users, that makes it a fine way to send potential customers design intent for products. I think that this will increase Onshape users as well, beyond those who would normaly use cad.
  • don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    The share permissions or options seem to only effect private documents and not public. Is this correct?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    don_howe said:
    The share permissions or options seem to only effect private documents and not public. Is this correct?
    Which one?  Public documents are still copyable (is that a word?) while private documents can be shared with individuals, teams, and companies with view only options where they can't export or make a copy of the workspace.

Viewing a document with a link and no other permissions doesn't give the user access to export or copy.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    don_howe said:
    Which one?  Public documents are still copyable (is that a word?) while private documents can be shared with individuals, teams, and companies with view only options where they can't export or make a copy of the workspace.

Viewing a document with a link and no other permissions doesn't give the user access to export or copy.
    Well your explanation makes sense but I thought perhaps for hobbyist or makers who are struggling with the 100mb private document limit that they could make their document public but have the same share options. Perhaps not.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great update, thanks!
    //rami
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Just tested no-sign in link with customer (non-cad-person) and I would hope for more options to hide feature/part tree and maybe have some image of mouse buttons to guide how to manipulate the model.
    Other improvements / settings could be:
    - Automatically show list of named views
    - Show part dimension on hover / click (or in some cases disable measuring)
    - Choose to share just current tab / select tabs / all tabs
    - Show / hide menus, feature tree, etc..

I don't know what others are thinking about use cases of no-sign in links but I'm certainly thinking to use this feature mostly for non-cad persons so it should be pretty simple UI to understand without further cad / onshape experience. 

Any other thoughts?
    //rami
  • ellen_timineyellen_timiney Member Posts: 10
    Great updates.. I would also like to selectively hide/show features to sharees. Also the option of sharing/viewing per tab... sometimes I just want to share one subassembly....

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:
    Just tested no-sign in link with customer (non-cad-person) and I would hope for more options to hide feature/part tree and maybe have some image of mouse buttons to guide how to manipulate the model.
    Other improvements / settings could be:
    - Automatically show list of named views
    - Show part dimension on hover / click (or in some cases disable measuring)
    - Choose to share just current tab / select tabs / all tabs
    - Show / hide menus, feature tree, etc..

I don't know what others are thinking about use cases of no-sign in links but I'm certainly thinking to use this feature mostly for non-cad persons so it should be pretty simple UI to understand without further cad / onshape experience. 

Any other thoughts?
    Did you see the Show intro in the menu, this will be handy for first time users to get the idea of the power of Onshape and some basic guidelines. Not sure a non CAD user wants to jump straight into a 5min video thou, they just wan the basic navigation tools. I almost find I have to prep new users/non CAD users with a phone call to get something useful out of a share.

I am excited about the link, I did my test on explorer and it still managed to pull the model up.

Tab Only would be a good option, especially when sharing something like a machined or cast part with a vendor for quotation and you don't want them looking through the rest of the model. Another option would be a link to show the part only in a basic window or with all other parts hidden, I could see this very useful for a link from a BOM or even a website to individual part or drawing. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Good stuff! Grid View is awesome!
  • robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    Great update. The mirror feature and share link will be very useful.

For those people that want to share just a single tab, what you can do for now is just copy that tab into a new document and share that instead of the original complete document.

• noel_rodesnoel_rodes Member Posts: 2
    Where is the Sheet Metal???  and the CAM machining?
  • Mitch_PricerMitch_Pricer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 27 PRO
    Seriously love the grid view. Great work once again!
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Feature Mirror! My very first enhancement request has arrived! Very happy.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @noel_rodes - thank you for your support of Onshape. Obviously we are writing code day and night around here - sheet metal is coming! With regards to CAM, which of the CAM apps in the AppStore have you already tried? A good starting point for 2.5 mill and laser is probably Kiri:Moto. 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • MennelliMennelli Member, OS Professional Posts: 3
    noel_rodes Hi Noel, a sheet-metal app called "ExactFlat" is available in the store and there are 4 options for the CAM machining?

• RiftRift OS Professional Posts: 7
    Is it possible to make the grid view the default when you first login to Onshape or do you have to select it each time?
  • leye_olayiwolaleye_olayiwola Member Posts: 1
    How soon does onshape hope to add 3D sketch feature? 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    3Dcad-

Hope they can do it. 

As a Cadkey VAR battling acad a long time ago, people don't get 3D wireframe. I'm not sure it's a CAD issue.

Easy 3D sketches? I'll take hard 3D sketches now vs. easy 3D sketches in the future.