Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to wake midpoints to use as constraints?

BLJ_ENGINEERINGBLJ_ENGINEERING Member Posts: 15 PRO
Midpoints will not wake unless I choose something new to draw e.g. a new line. I'd like to use constraints directly on midpoints but Onshape tells me; "A constraint must involve something from the sketch".

Did I miss something? 

Best Answer

Answers

• derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    @Firesale, you can place points on the midpoints of your rectangle sides, select them and then use a coincident constraint.  
  • HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

I would first create a point at the mid of each of the 2 lines, select the 2 points and then use the coincident constraint.

Or ...
    Create only 1 point at the mid of one of the 2 lines, select the point and the other line and then use the midpoint contraint.

Result:

• BLJ_ENGINEERINGBLJ_ENGINEERING Member Posts: 15 PRO
    @derek_ward and @hakro
    Thanks, that works but I think the "wake midpoint" should be active on constraints also. Oh, and on Dimension also. A huge step-saver!
    Bottom line is; I don't see any good reason for putting it to sleep:)

• BLJ_ENGINEERINGBLJ_ENGINEERING Member Posts: 15 PRO
    I'll "reject" the answers above because it seems that you can not wake the midpoints for this operation. The answers do explain the best alternative though :)
    I am sure there is a more complex reason for them not to wake. 

BTW @hakro ; nice screen caps, do you use Snagit? 
  • HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    @Firesale: No, I use Jing from TechSmith for screenshots and screenmovies..