Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cannot get the right answer in 'SKETCHING IN-CONTEXT' exercise

Hi,

I have been going over the first few exercises, which are really useful. I totally aced the first one, but I cannot understand why the answer in the 2nd exercise is incorrect. I have followed the instructions, the resulting part looks identical to what is in the exercise, but the volume I get is 
50865.381 mm3, which apparently is incorrect.

Anyone got any ideas?

To get to this exercise navigate to https://www.onshape.com/learn/introduction-to-cad#, click on 'Overview and Sketching'  and navigate to the 'Sketching in Context' exercise (there doesn't appear to be a way to link to it directly)

Here's hoping that the exercise is wrong or that a recent software change has slightly skewed the answer.

Best Answer

• noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jeroen_ritmeijer, I went in and tried the exercise myself and you are indeed correct. We previously had rounded the answer as 50865.32 but it is fixed and reflected correctly now. Thanks for catching this!
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.

Answers

• don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I looked at this very quickly and just paging through the steps I would say they are asking for the volume of the "new part"  you created not the volume of the whole part.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I would like to help, but for me at present, the tutorial is taking so long to switch between steps that I've run out of spare time.

When I tried reloading the browser tab (after being stuck on step 5 for some minutes without the next and previous icons appearing), I was kicked right back to the page the OP provided a link to.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem turned out (yet again) to be Chrome browser set to a non 100% zoom.

I don't share the enthusiasm some have for the superb behaviour and performance of modern browsers.

Sure, this problem will undoubtedly eventually be fixed, and others take its place. It's hard to meet deadlines when key tools are so capricious and the user is forced to use "latest greatest" works-in-progress all day, every day.

I'm torn between being thankful I don't pay for Chrome, and wishing I did so I had some leverage.  If Onshape ever make a dedicated browser, I hope it's not free. 
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jeroen_ritmeijer, I went in and tried the exercise myself and you are indeed correct. We previously had rounded the answer as 50865.32 but it is fixed and reflected correctly now. Thanks for catching this!
  • ThadGThadG Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Do you provide solutions somewhere to all of the quizzes of the "Introduction to CAD"?
    I would be interested in seeing the solution to learn how some of the steps are done.

@thaddeus_gabara, I've put together a document with the exercise solutions here.
  • ThadGThadG Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Noa

thanks, but i was interested if there was a step by step solutions for each one of the problems.
    thad
    There are not unfortunately but somebody has made a video of himself doing the exercises in Polish here on youtube.
  • stanislav_kupryakhinstanislav_kupryakhin Member Posts: 3
    I've stepped into the same problem.
    noa said:
    @thaddeus_gabara, I've put together a document with the exercise solutions here.

I followed instructions and received the same answer as in document. But when I enter this answer into "Response" input on excercise's page 8, I get

Exercise Complete

Sorry, your answer was incorrect.

edited June 2016
    noa said:
    Similar problem with "Onshape Instructor Kit - 2.2.1 - Basic Features 1".
    My result slightly differs from the result in the document, and entering any of them gives
    "Sorry, your answer was incorrect."

I ihink developers should review the exercies and their answers.
    Same thing on "Onshape Instructor Kit - 3.2.1 - In-Context Part Design 1".
    Also, instruction on the assessment page says "
    Select the part in the features list." - but it's not clear, which one, because there are two new parts in excercice. Looking at the provided answers, I can suppose that actually we need to select BOTH parts. But again, there is no number that passes the excercise.
    Thanks for pointing this out @stanislav_kupryakhin. There was an issue on our end that has now been fixed. All of the answers in that Google Doc should now be accepted.

• sarah_baucomsarah_baucom Member Posts: 2
    I too am getting 50865.396 mm3, which is the same answer that's in the document, which you say should work now, but it's not working for me. I've also tried the other answers people used in this thread (.381, .32), which it also says are wrong. Is it maybe doing a floating point comparison on the back end? Maybe instead it could check if the answer is within 0.01% or something.
  • fred_damstrafred_damstra Member Posts: 1
    I'd love to know what's different about mine. I get an answer of 50865.52184 mm3, which is just about 1/8 mm3 more than the "official" answer above. I'm guessing I'm doing something different in the contraints, but I didn't think the instructions were very clear.

Here's my "finished" product: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a1b51fe9535317e80f17d5be/w/b2ec37c3fe45129b9a32c39c/e/60882f48b84fa1011598be0a
  • enjayaitchenjayaitch Member Posts: 3
    Me too.  I get 50865.522.  I had to change the units of the document from inches back to mm, as well.
    I had to change the document units from inches to mm.  I get 50865.52184 initially rounded to .522 but the full number shown if I double-clock.  Really frustrating not to know if I got something wrong or if there is just an issue again.  These tutorials are brilliant!  Please take another look!
    Sorry about duplication above - didn't realise posts have to be approved.

I'm now having a different issue with 2.2.1.  When I try the extrude, it only allows me to complete it if I create it as a new part.  I note that the top section of the extrude is flat and forms a tangent with the top of the cylinder, whereas in the illustrations, it shows the top section to be curved to follow the arc of the cylinder.  Surely this would require a second rotate, and adjustment of the sketch (or otherwise features more advanced and not yet covered by the videos so far).  When I try to chamfer the edges of that section it won't work.  Am I missing something?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited November 2017
    @enjayaitch

It would be helpful if you posted screenshots of what you're having issues with, or posted a link to the document where you are trying to complete the exercise.

If you're asking what I think you are, the face I've identified here does not need to follow the curve of the cylindrical section:

EDIT: 

Additionally, we just released new courses in our learning center that are free for all users!  The instructions are much more up to date with the current feature set of Onshape, and you will probably have much better luck with those than with these older tutorials.  Go check them out: https://learn.onshape.com/

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team