Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why does the mobile app require access to contacts?

andy_morris900andy_morris900 Member Posts: 8

Hi,

Could someone explain why the Onshape mobile app requires access to my contacts list.

This is really putting me off from evaluating Onshape for future projects...

regards

andy

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hi Andy, the contacts is only for when you want to share a document with someone so that the email will autocomplete. You can turn it off at any time from your phone settings. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • andy_morris900andy_morris900 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Neil,

I went ahead anyway and, as you said, I turned off that permission before I started the app.

I am impressed... A pity this isn't really my bag really. I'm a piping designer in the chemical/petroleum/pharma industry so parametric product prototyping simply doesn't work with likes of Inventor and SolidWorks, and hence Onshape.

This afternoon my son and I were working on the same project. Very impressive... I can see this being a big hit as you improve it more and more. I think that one thing I miss is global parameters.

cheers

andy