Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Featurescript: Offset Faces

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
We've launched a new feature to Offset selected faces.  A perfect implementation is not yet possible, but this is a reasonable start. 

Read about it here http://store.parametricparts.com/store/p9/PP_OFFSET_FACE

Or try it out free here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/323312569b42b381b93ee95c/w/4feba228409d550cfecc4193/e/4f18ff5b4caf83cc9e65fee9

Known limitations:
   * Offsetting can be tricky. It is not hard to create geometry that generates indeterminate geometry
   * Inner loops on faces with irregular definitions ( splines ) are not currently handled correctly.

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I didn't try you're offset but have started using your cap screw FS. Really nice.

Some points for consideration.
    I don't like the point or cometic thread that is left after hiding, deleting or tranforming a cap screw part.
    I'd like to be able to set the cap screw deeper than flush to the top face. I allway like them the sit just bellow flush.
    Hard to scroll down when on a small screen, maybe more off an OS issue, not normally a but when this dialogue is fully expanded goes off the screen

I have added this one to my favourites. 

Keep up the good work

Bruce

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Bruce:

Thanks a ton for the feedback!

(1) Adding a feature to inset the screw a bit should be no problem.

(2 ) Several people have mentioned the residual cosmetic thread.  Unfortunately it is an onshape limitation: since it is not a part, I cannot hide it along with the part. It is possible to hide it, but ( fairly un-intuitively) you do so by hiding the feature in the top, or, of course, simply not generating it.  I have resisted creating real threads for performance reasons. Do you think I should remove the cosmetic helix completely? Or should I instead generate a real thread?  Unfortunately I don't really have a good solution available with currently expose Onshape functionality.

(3) yes, on my screen ( a laptop) i cannot see the full dialog fully involved.  I wanted to do solve the problem by creating sideways tabs, like Boolean does-- but this functionality is only available for Onshape internal.  I tried to shorten it, but I really dont have any tools I can use to make it shorter ( besides simply removing features ).  If you have ideas, let me know-- but nothing I thought of felt like it was going to work. The problem will only get worse if I add the inset option, of course.

Just so you ( and other readers ) know, here are some other things coming in the future for the screw plugin:

1. hex heads
         2. add M2.5 and M3.5 for ISO
         3. add ability to generate Nuts and Washers ( though I may do these in a separate feature )
         4. create real threads ( some users still want this )
         5. 'cheese-head' ( short ) SHCS ( DIN 7984 and ISO 14580 )

Thanks for the kind words!

• srbhsrbh Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I have also enjoyed using screw cap FS, but find the remaining threads a distraction. I look forward to nuts & bolts but would also find 'rivets' useful.

Thank you.
    @srbh,  You can disable the cosmetic threads if you don't want them to be generated, just change from "Cosmetic" to "None"

I left the capability in because I found it useful to be able to see where the threaded part ends for longer screws. 

As long as cosmetic threads are a helix, I cannot hide them with the part, due to Onshape limitations. There are only two things I can do:

(1) I can remove the option to build cosmetic threads. Now they will never be annoying. But you cannot have them if you want to see where the thread ends
    (2) I can cut real threads. This will be a performance issue if you have lots of bolts. If I did this, I would add a new option under the thread type menu, 'True'. 
    (3) I can change the default on this option to "None". Perhaps it is not clear they are optional, and doing this would only make them show up if you want them.

These are really my only options. How should I proceed?

• srbhsrbh Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Thanks. That works for me.
    Possible rename 'Cosmetic' to 'Show Thread' - (Hide Threads).
    @srbh, @brucebartlett

Per your request, I have implemented these changes in Socket Screw Creator, version 2.0:

* renamed "Cosmetic" to "Cosmetic Threads" and "Hide Threads". 
    * Hide Threads is now the default
    * removed extraneous point

Now the default behavior does not show any objects when you hide the generated screw, which I think was the desired intent

New version can be found here ( or by simply updating your current versions )
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d7e0a6b68c2039da4221ebc/w/06d0026261b3d9bb908f74a1/e/b92e2707bc8e8165e208a55e
  • bob_keyesbob_keyes Member Posts: 3
    Absoloutly I need real threads I am designing things that will be printed on a D printer that have threads, I don't think "cosmetic"  threads will work wil they?
    HI, Bob:
    Thanks for using Screw Creator.
    Cosmetic threads will not work for a 3d printer. I have making real threads on my list-- I'll get to that soon. 

@brucebartlett I have implemented ability to slightly inset screws, per request