Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I change the orbit mode to something like Sketchup?

Lee_HeskethLee_Hesketh Member, Developers Posts: 148 ✭✭
Hi, I have only been using Onshape for a very short while and one thing I couldn't get to grips with is the orbiting. I use Blender, Sketchup and Pro Desktop8 and when I try to orbit like I would in other 3D software, my view rolls and tilts and I cannot get back to the view that I want.

Ideally I would like to see an option to switch between turntable and trackball. How could I alter the orbit mode?
Thanks
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, those who don't and those who didn't expect base 3!

Best Answer

Answers

• øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, you can't. This is an issue that has been discussed at length previously, but apparently the "MCAD"-style of orbit is regarded as superior.

I'm not a fan of this method either (I prefer the other main type of orbit, like you mention), but if it's any consolation, with time you will find it a little easier and less annoying.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @bradley_sauln
    How about adding a button for 'show triad' to control view angle (in part studio and assembly)?
    This would give the option to rotate in turntable mode.. Triad should be movable and have popup values like we have in assembly mode. Actually it should be exactly the same as in assembly but just turn camera instead of model.
    //rami
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @3dcad My question to you on that is what is wrong with the large view cube on the top right of the part studio? You can drag it to any location on your screen and you essentially have manipulators to adjust the view and rotate. It even lets you quickly snap to great isometric viewpoints from any side :)

I don't really see a need for seeing values when changing the view as I can't think of a situation where you would need to have an exact viewpoint. With our measure tool you'd probably be able to accomplish any precise measurements or determinations.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @bradley_sauln
    For me, nothing is wrong with Onshape orbiting. I have 3d mouse and history in mcads so I can find my way viewing the model flawlessly.

Every now and then someone pop's up the question about turntable mode, I just thought the easiest way to introduce that without forcing to select view mode in settings. This way sketch-up users would have possibility to use familiar turn mode while get into mcad way..

View cube is otherwise fine but it has rather big steps and there is no possibility to 'stay above ground'. This is something I would like to see when sharing a link to model for non-cad person. If you're purchasing manager and get link to new product model, viewing should be pre-controlled within certain limits to make it worth sharing. If model is immediately upside down (after you figure out the way to turn the model) and difficult to navigate then few screenshots is better than sharing a model.

Not sure if triad is the way to go but something to begin discussion on this matter, no need to shoot me down.
    //rami
  • jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I know it's an old topic but I've been googling for the same thing.  The best answer is mostly right but the orbit mode like Sketchup is called 'Constrained Rotate' and with default mode it is Alt+Right Drag.  It even levels the view which is helpful.
  • Eleanor_CoffinEleanor_Coffin Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I'd love to see this capability in a checkbox rather than as as key combination I have to use every time. There is never a time where I want to view my models with non-constrained rotation.
  • michael_kaiser_crossmichael_kaiser_cross Member Posts: 4
    I agree with  Eleanor_Coffins request to add some setting that enables non-contrained rotation without holding a key down
  • timur_tabitimur_tabi Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the same boat as Lee.  Would it be possible to add an option to just swap Rotate with Constrained Rotate?  That way, I won't need to hold down the Alt key to rotate in a fashion that's familiar to me.