Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

A cad software is only as good as the basic sketching is

tore_thoresentore_thoresen Member Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Community Support
...or am I missing out on something?
I cannot find that it's possible to snap along an edge, corner, midpoint or anything else on an extruded model when sketching on a face.
Also when you are transforming some line or anything on a sketch, snapping doesn't seems to work. 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Thanks, I'll try 'use/project'. 
    I'm using Firefox and Safari. 
    Creo way sounds interesting. I am used to SW where snapping is easy. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all folks, I just started to like the OS way, put thanks to the Free Plan change, I will probably never get back to OS after 15th of Des.

• Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    When I tech Creo that is a common complaint from students who have used SolidWorks or other 3D CAD applications. In Creo, you have to add references for any existing geometry that you want to snap to but not with all other packages. All other geometry is ignored. Once a model gets complicated, I personally appreciate that all geometry does not cause the cursor to snap on something that is meaningless to what I am working on. In Onshape, you have to either project points, edges or intersects for snapping. This is okay, but I don't always want edges to become lines or curves that will have to be trimmed, I just want to reference those lines or curves. Making them construction features works okay.
    Couldn't agree more, the workflow for creating constraints in Creo is both great and terrible at the same exact time.

I hope people aren't projecting a lot of edges just for trimming in a sketch!!! One thing I like about Onshape, is that it will automatically trim the sketch with the part during the feature creation:

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    in addition to @fastwayjim 's tip, if that feature makes things difficult for you (ie. need to select 100 areas to get full extrude for your sketch) then you can select whole sketch from feature list.
    //rami