Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Silly Question

michael_lesliemichael_leslie Member, Mentor Posts: 21 ✭✭
Hi All,

I don't know why but i thought it would be fun to try Onshape on the biggest screen in my house which I my TV. My playstation 3 is hooked up to my TV, it has a web browser so i thought i'd try logging in to Onshape. It wouldn't even let me log in, I got an error when I click login on the Onshape home page. Will this ever be an option? even just to view models?

I also have an iPad, iPhone and Apple TV would any of this combination help get it on to a big screen or am breaking out the laptop and VGA cable?

I titled this Silly Question because none of this really matters but would be nice on that rare occasion i want to spin a model around on the big screen at home. 

Regards, 

Michael
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    I suppose the PS3 browser doesn't support WebGL.
    If Onshape would support AirPlay, streaming through an Apple TV should work.

Hmm, great idea! Onshape, can you add a ticket for AirPlay, please? :)

Dries
  • Options
    After it didn't work i had a look and the playstation 3 does apparently support WebGL. It is 7 year tech though and its only running opengl 2.0 but i have an old laptop which has a graphics card running opengl 2.0 and it works.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Dries said:
    I suppose the PS3 browser doesn't support WebGL.
    If Onshape would support AirPlay, streaming through an Apple TV should work.

Hmm, great idea! Onshape, can you add a ticket for AirPlay, please? :)

Dries
    AirPlay from iOS devices should work with our app.  This is how we've done many of our demos.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Ok, so I've just discovered AirPlay's synchronous display...
    Thanks!

Dries
  • Options
    Has anyone tried it on a RaspberryPi? 
  • Options
    scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Yes... I have tried running Onshape on a RaspberryPi. As of about a year and a half ago, Iceweasel did not support WebGL. Maybe it does now. I also tried a Beaglebones Black with the same result.
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @mike317537 I have one here I could try it out on.  The biggest question is the graphics card.  I will report back when I get a chance to try it out.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Experimenting tomorrow then :)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    This is the second gen Raspberry pi and no webgl support. Maybe on the new one..

• Options
  • Options
    @ben this is a year old model. Wonder if the newest build would support it. Didn't work on http://get.webgl.org
  • Options
    When I get some time Ill have a look at the ones I have and figure it out
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Not much to figure out but wonder if webgl will run on the newest model that shipped let month. For Linux you'll need to override the software rendering list in chrome:// flags. 
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Ben if the next gen Raspberry pi does support webgl as @Lou_Gallo is hoping, it would be an even cheaper setup on our TVs than the Intel Compute stick. I've seen the next gen raspberry pi announcement with windows 10 for $35 (http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/Windows-Developer-Program-for-IoT). Pretty cheap. I would hope it supports webgl.  If Windows 10 is supported, well then maybe webgl would be through the browser available in that flavor of Windows 10.  It does not include Bluetooth, so those Bluetooth mouse and keyboards would have to be added in through one of the USB ports.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I will do this for the case of research.. .Stay tuned..  I have found a project that allows you to install Firefox OS on a Raspberri pi that can support WebGL...  http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/16/3247018/firefox-os-boot-to-gecko-raspberry-pi
  • Options
    @Lou_Gallo Cool.  I couldn't find anything yet about WebGL support.  I would think Raspberry PI or Microsoft would know if it'll be supported.
  • Options
    @Pete Yodis I have been digging as well but nothing looks promising.  It seems it can do it but no software is currently able to access it.  Most are explaining it is not hardware acclerated which is a prob.  Trying to find the cheapest cad workstation I can build.. ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Lou_Gallo said:
    @Pete Yodis I have been digging as well but nothing looks promising.  It seems it can do it but no software is currently able to access it.  Most are explaining it is not hardware acclerated which is a prob.  Trying to find the cheapest cad workstation I can build.. ;-)

Me too... fun to be disruptive...

I was hoping if Windows 10 was coming to the platform there was an outside chance the "Spartan Browser" would help things along.  A long shot, I know, but one can wish.
  • Options
    xiaoshizixiaoshizi Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Just recieved my 15.6" touch screen. (Kind of big tablet linux powered RPI 2 )
    Connected to RPI2, installed Iceweasel which has  WEBGL supported.
    Not running fully for the moment.
    Onshape hangs for the moment.
    about:config there must be a webgl parameter wrongly set false or something else needs proper setting.
    I'll keep updating as soon as it's running.
    (openjscad is working on rpi2 + touch screen)
    Greetz,
    Xiao Shi Zi. 
  • Options
    nada_nixnada_nix Member Posts: 19
    Just fyi, when they say "Windows 10", they don't mean, you know, "Windows 10". It's "Windows for devices/Internet of Things". It's somewhat based on Windows RT, and a port of Microsoft developer tools, Visual Studio. It will be Windows-like, but of course won't run mainstream x86 Windows apps.
  • Options
    @Nada_Nix Thanks for that.  What do you mean by "mainstream x86 Windows apps".  I think I know what you mean, but want to make sure.  Regardless, I wonder if Spartan is a "modern" store app.  I haven't seen that yet.  IF modern apps can run on this version of Windows 10 (why wouldn't they - this is why you would purchase this - its for developing and running modern apps... right?) AND if spartan is a modern app, then maybe there is a chance, otherwise we'll have to see how @Lionel makes out.
  • Options
    xiaoshizixiaoshizi Member Posts: 3
    Hmmmm....
    Seems like webgl is troubled by Broadcom not giving enough information to run on RPi or RPi2.
    OpenGl Es should give some power to use the GPU.
    Still wondering why openjscad works well with webgl and onshape doesn't fully run on the RPi2.
    Next step opengl es.
    (Checking out https://github.com/hermanhermitage)
    cu next time for an update.
    Greetz,
    Xiao Shi Zi.

• Options
    A colleague of mine is receiving his Raspberry Pi 2 on Friday.  I'll ask him to check some things out.
  • Options
    chris_mcandrewchris_mcandrew Member Posts: 3
    So far I've been able to get WebGL operating on a Raspberry Pi, Login to onshape, and create a new file. Editing it though its where things come to a crashing halt. Interested to see if others have found a solution here, it would be awesome to build a full CAD setup for <$50 as it opens up access to so many students, hobbyists, tinkeres etc. Admittedly if you can access a site to read about this then you can probably find a more efficient solution, but always nice to have a challenge.

Link to my attempts:
    http://www.3dnpd.com/2016/08/22/the-35-cad-computer-onshape-on-a-raspberry-pi/
  • Options
    @chris_mcandrew I did this last year with the RPI3 but it was doing it in software and not hardware accelerated which will be necessary.  Good stuff.  It will get there.