Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 26, 2015

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
edited February 2015 in New in Onshape
This week is a big release for Onshape.  The past few weeks we have been working on a number of improvements in order to be ready for Beta.  Updates to Organizations, sketch and feature additions as well as UI around our new account plans made the cut.  So go and get your hands dirty and let us know what you think!
Highlights include:

Sketching:
  1. Add sketch references and dimensions to planes.

2. Dimension extension lines have been added to dimensions .(when not between leaders)

3. Angular dimensions can be defined to any quadrant.

4. New pierce constraint

Features:
  1. New Mirror faces option (similar to linear/circular patterns)

2. Boolean subtract with offset option

Organizations:
  1. Documents owned by an organization can now be shared with another organization
  2. Organizations can be deleted by an Admin
  3. User list has page navigation (larger than 20 users)

4. Owned by column in Organization filters
Layout/Interface:
  1. Removed icons from filter list on Documents page.  (that we added last push)
  2. New "Forum username" field in Onshape profile page (used for Single-Sign On)

3. Help icon in all dialogs

4. Public badge in Documents pages

Performance/General:
  1. Thumbnail generation performance has been improved
  2. DWG/DXF output of sketches/planes will now respect Onshape's document units
Please give them a try and let us know what you think.  More to come shortly and we are heads down on the next build!  ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Nice!

An idea... I find that I spend a bit of time with some new capabilities figuring out how corner cases are handled or how the capability behaves in complex situations.

For instance, with the face mirror you (necessarily) use a simple example to illustrate what it's doing, and when you update the help documentation you will use a similarly clean example (as you should). But it would be helpful to me, maybe others, to have at the end of the help a few ugly examples so we can get our head around how we can use it and what the limitations are.

Or maybe a description (in the help) or illustration of the physics/rules that faces have vs features is needed? I'm not sure...

(For the record I did experiment a bit to figure what I can and can't do. It's reinforcing that I like thinking in terms of features much more than faces and I'm really looking forward to the time when all these low level geometry operations get consolidated into feature operations.)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2015
    Just completed a part from 1 sketch using a coincidence to face constraint, got me a bit excited. Last night I was considering using a Boolean of 2 parts to create this geometry, today I jumped on click, click and done. Now I need a symmetric constraint for the line constraining the chamfer and the ability to link dimensions but we're getting there. 

Great work, keep them coming.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Very nice updates for general productivity improvement!
    I hope ellipses are coming soon. My colleague has been slashing at me for Onshape's lack of an ellipse tool. So, please relieve me. :)

Dries
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Wow. The Boolean with offset function looks really slick. Not having to select all the faces to apply to the whole action is really nice. Awesome stuff. I love the weekly updates. So efficient.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Wow. The Boolean with offset function looks really slick. Not having to select all the faces to apply to the whole action is really nice. Awesome stuff. I love the weekly updates. So efficient.
    Very impressive, adding the select faces to offset really makes this a useful tool with no downstream features needed  :)
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    Maybe it's just me, but right now I'm basking in being able to actually dimension the angle I want to. No more subtraction, thank goodness...
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me, but right now I'm basking in being able to actually dimension the angle I want to. No more subtraction, thank goodness...
    So true.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2015
    I would like to add one to this list of improvements.

Spin box increment now works!

If you highlight the dimension and spin, the number updates nicely. Sometimes its the small things that matter the most.

Ok, so I take this all back.

So it's still f'd-up. Increment this and it updates by .01mm which is too fine to be useful. In the previous dialog it was updating by .1mm which was nice. You don't have control over the increment value and therefore spinbox increment is useless.

How about?
    Look at the dimension resolution setting the spinbox increment accordingly.

Increments by .1mm:

increments by .01mm:

increments by 1mm:

• fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Boolean with Offset FTMFW!
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited March 2015
    Today we turned on our subscription plans.  For those of you who have prepaid, someone should have reached out to you and your Documents page should appear no different that it used to.  Everyone else will see the below interface.  The Free plan will have the ability to access up to 5 private, active documents at one time.  

Active/Inactive:
    1. You have 5 tokens you can place on any of your private or "Shared with me" documents.
    2. Public documents do not count against your Active documents
    3. You may create as many documents as you like (once you are at your 5 active documents limit, new documents are created as private and inactive)

You can toggle active/inactive in the gear menu or by clicking on the blue/grey token on the left of each document name.  You can remove all of the active/inactive interface by upgrading to the Professional plan by clicking the link at the top of the Documents page.  If you do have a Professional plan, you can view your billing information in the Manage account menu under your name in the upper right.  Feedback is always welcome.  ~Lou
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Looks/works great guys!
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way you chose to demonstrate the difference between a pierce and a coincident relation was elegant.

I wish I had thought of such a good way two decades ago when a young engineer suggested to me that "pierce" was redundant, because (to his limited appreciation) it achieved nothing which "coincident" did not.

Those of us who instantly seize the value of high level tools are sometimes at a loss when faced with someone whose instinct is to dismiss whatever they do not understand. Being a quick study does not always equip a person to be a great teacher.

It's great to have a repertoire of compelling and succinct demonstrations to reveal to dogmatic or blinkered neophytes exactly what it is that they are missing. 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Andrew_Troup Thanks!  Was hoping the demos are clear.  
  • moengineeringmoengineering Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2015
    Hello @LouGallo and the whole @onshape team,

great and really impressive work!

Best regards
    Martin