Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Parts/subassemblies update automatically

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
We have an assembly with sub-assemblies in it. When I change something in the sub-assembly, it does not automatically update in the top level assembly, and I'm not even able to update it in the top-level assembly unless I create a new "version" for the sub-assembly. 

How do I get the sub-assembly to automatically update in the top level assembly? I absolutely cannot be creating new "versions" for things every time I make a little change during the design phase, which is about every 30 seconds. I will soon have hundreds of versions which I'm not allowed to delete. 

I've just now noticed that OnShape seems to be inconsistent when it updates parts which have changed as well. Sometimes the changes flow through, sometimes not. What's up with that? 

Looking forward to your answer. 

Best Answer

Answers

• dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
    edited November 2016
    Hello Neil. I just tried to add a pre-existing assembly into my doc, and had the same problem. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    That's right. Only parts and assemblies that reside in your current doc (in another tab) update automatically. Anything with a chain link next to it is linked and needs a "manual" update. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    As you can see in both of my pictures, my sub-assembly does not update when changed even in the same document. 
    edited November 2016
    Hi @dan_engerer - without seeing the doc in its entirety it's hard to say. I am guessing that you are adding new parts to a Part Studio? Because parts that belong to a Part Studio can be used in several different subassemblies or other Documents, we do not automatically add new parts into the top level assembly. New parts must always be added manually to an assembly. If you are saying that you are editing an existing part in a Part Studio that is already assembled in an Assembly in the same Document and it is not updating, then that is an issue that we've never seen before and you should open a ticket with support (help menu > feedback).

Actually, looking at the images again before pressing "post comment" - are you moving the parts in one assembly and expecting them to move in the other? All subassemblies are "flexible" by default and can move independently from one another unless the parts that make up that subassembly are mated or grouped together. Fixing all the parts in one subassembly does not stop them moving in the other, but grouping them will.

• david_lanzendorferdavid_lanzendorfer Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a sub-weldment with mostly parts (ie. very few features).  When I added the sub-weldment to the main assembly (in the same document), it created a mass of parts in the assembly....which I then used the grouping function on.  When I added new features to the sub-weldment it updated in the main assembly, however when I added parts they did not come into the main assembly.  The only solution was to delete the sub-assembly out of the main assembly, then re-insert it.  I'm new to OnShape, so PLEASE tell me there's a more automatic solution for maintaining current upper level assemblies, because this will get out of hand in no time.  Perhaps provide a link to a tutorial on how to keep Assemblies current, without manually adding the new parts?  :)
    Hi @david_lanzendorfer - in Onshape a Part Studio must not be confused with a subassembly. A Part Studio is the place where all geometry and inter-part relationships are created to ensure they are more robust than what you would normally get with in-context assembly design in traditional CAD. Parts created in a Part Studio can be used in multiple assemblies so they do not by default get added into an assembly as you create new parts. For your scenario, best thing to do would be to create a subassembly and insert all the parts from your Part Studio at the origin (just press the green check mark as opposed to dragging the parts with your cursor). Then insert that sub into your top level. Now when you create new parts in the Part Studio you can add those parts to the subassembly and they will appear in the top level assembly.