Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 12th, 2017

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited January 2017 in New in Onshape
It's a new year and we are starting it off with some big new features!  Including some highly requested new features.  Let's get started.

IN-CONTEXT DESIGN

Create and/or edit parts within the context of the assembly.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/nf7bba9m12?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

NAMED POSITIONS

Named positions make it easy to capture the position of parts in your assembly and return to that position.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/7g1ucgpwi9?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

RECENTLY OPENED DOCUMENTS IMPROVEMENT

You can now remove Documents from your Recently Opened Documents list.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3f9bg9hvy3?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

IMPORT IMPROVEMENTS

There is a new option when importing to allow parts with faulty geometry. Imported parts with faulty geometry will show as an error in the Feature list and parts list. In the past, if the imported geometry had problems you could not use it in Onshape. 

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/v70569yot2?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

SHADED DRAWING VIEWS

Shaded drawing views are now supported in Onshape Drawings.  Right-click the drawing view and choose "Show shaded view."

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/39ukczcxc0?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

EDIT TABLE TOOLBAR IMPROVEMENTS

Editing tables has been made easier with a change to the edit table toolbar.  Now the toolbars for editing cells and editing the table have been combined into one.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ksq6gdoaai?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

DRAWING VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

While dragging drawing views, dimensions and annotations move with the view.  In the past, when dragging a view the dimensions and annotations did not update until after you finished dragging.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hznmz1df0o?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

ARC DIMENSION IMPROVEMENTS

Extension arcs will only be created on arc dimensions where it is not possible for the arrowhead to touch the geometry.  

EXPORT DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

When exporting a drawing to PDF, there is a new option to save the PDF with "Selectable" text.  This makes the text in the PDF selectable and also searchable.

INSERT DIALOG IMPROVEMENTS

Labels now appear in the Insert dialog when browsing to other Documents.

LINKED DOCUMENTS IMPROVEMENT

If you link to a Document, then later move the tabs associated with that link to a different Document, you will now have an option to update the link to the new Document. 

NX IMPORT

NX parts and assemblies can be imported into an Onshape Document and translated. To import a part, simply import the .prt file into a Document. To import an assembly, place all parts and the assembly in a zip file and import that into an Onshape Document. The zip file name must match the name of the top-level assembly.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!  

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    OK. This update came 50 minutes too late :) would have saved me exactly that amount of time today…
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Now......Make it so the ICE parts automatically update with named positions.  ;)

Done yet?
    Quick tip on using ICE.

You DO NOT need to make sketch in order to extrude a face from your base part. Go right into the extrude command, click on the face and build. 

If you're running pipe....this tool is for you.

Also when creating a context anything you make in the first context will update as one update. If you add another context to that part studio that will be a separate context that need to be updated separately.   You will also have to insert the 2nd context through the insert tab, it doesn't automatically insert it or give you the option like when the 1st context is created. 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great update to begin new year with!
    //rami
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Great Job! I was watching the in context design thinking "well this might be a little risky" but it looks really good and blew my mind with "update context" at the end. 

Drawing updates are good. I always find drawing across CAD systems to be frustrating and slow compared to design, so every time improvement and ease of use improvement to drawings is celebrated.

That "import parts with faults" will be extremely helpful for my brother pulling in complex ID surfaces.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Awesome set of Improvements. ICE is so exciting for me, I have so many projects ideas that could benefit from this. The stability and usability look's like a real game changer in so many different design applications. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into this one.

Named Positions are a perfect solution to getting those flexible assemblies into working position without using mates or limits. So much better than layers of configurations which I have used in previous live's.

Love the drawing improvement's, shaded views tick's of another of my requirement's and you can't go wrong improving the table tool. Keep them coming.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Is it too early to ask animated transition between Named Positions?
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:
    Is it too early to ask animated transition between Named Positions?
    And for multiple named position on a single drawing view in drawings? primary in dark lines, secondary in dotted or grayed out lines. 
    I am just playing with the named positions and I think it would be a great improvement to be able to select these by RMB on drawing view's and at least be able to have multiple views of the same assembly in different positions on the one drawing.  Multiple named positions for a single view could come later. 
    Exactly.
    //rami
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    In-context design,named position I am so excited to use them. Brilliant work! Thanks very much. :)
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Great list of improvements.
    I very much like introduction of create part studio In-context design feature. I can now create and/or edit parts within the context of the assembly. Look forward to playing with this. Thank you very much Onshape team
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Drawing view improvement, Arc dimension improvements and Named positions ! My many improvement and enhancement request has arrived! Very happy. Thanks to the Onshape team. Keep up the awesome work!
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Trivial compared with some of the improvements I know, but the ability to tidy the recently opened documents list is very welcome here.
  • carl_von_ayrescarl_von_ayres Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Excellent update, the ICE is a massive welcome [will be using it for running cables through panels and making cutouts on the fly].
    Shaded view is also a welcome sight.
    I would also like to see the 'named position' used in drawings, along with 'named view' as a future update.
    Also while the labels in the insert panel is great especially for user-library, it would soon become to much if it lists all the tags used. Would like to limit it a bit [either keyword or as a option when creating the label] or be able to organise it so the library tags are at the top.
  • don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    The recently opened documents and arc improvements are most welcome. The table tool bar improvement is a real time saver.
    edited January 2017
    Bug?

I've moved some parts into new docs and when opening an assembly referencing the moved part the chain-link symbol is not highlighting in blue like it would be if there's a new version of a part.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Wow, heck of a way to start the new year! I have SO MUCH modeling to do!
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Been playing with in context and like it very much. :)
    Looking forward to using named views in drawings when it comes!!
  • bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    Well done on the ICE addition! How did we get by without it?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2017
    Great work, thanks Devs. 

For me OS has passed the "Gap filling missing features milestone" and is into the "making new and interesting features that make life easier, more enjoyable and productive." 

It's no-longer a baby, it's a teenager that thinks it's going to rip up the rule book and reinvent the world. B)

More please :)

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    And BOM creation 
    coleman said:
    And BOM creation 
    with part dimensions.. and dimension / variable tables..

OK, let's just say direction is good, speed is fine but it is still work in progress..
    //rami
    edited January 2017
    Just tried the in context feature.  Big thumbs up here, thanks Developers.  :)

Just wondering...  The lines between Part Studios and Assemblies are blurring.  Is it likely they'll be combined into a one size fits all super studio?

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    coleman said:
    Great topic, thanks for the pointer @coleman

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • carl_von_ayrescarl_von_ayres Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Is it possible to use shaded view with section views, I don't get the option when I right click