Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Some work around thoughts for sheet metal

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
Before Solid Edge had the etch command I would get geometry in model that needed to be in the flat pattern but not cutout by use the cut command and and only going about .01" deep. This would allow the model to flatten and show geometry that I wanted etched and not cutout.

When working with sheet metal in onshape you can only cut through the entire material thickness. You cannot just cut through a certain depth. Once you select completed sheet metal part you have the option to cut through to a certain depth but this will not show in the flat pattern (similar to adding fillets on corners). 

One way would be to have the option to have a normal cut which cuts normal to the thickness and a regular cut. There are some instances that a sheet metal part will need features added by a mill or as I previously mentioned a laser etch.
Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2017
    Yes this will be needed. I will quite often laser etch a part number or fold line or assembly position. I found myself trying to add this with a sketch to the face of the flat pattern in its view window. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    @brucebartlett & @bryan_lagrange... Great idea. We will add this to our enhancement list. I will circle back with both of you for more workflow details.   Thanks!
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks @scott_harris
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977