Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Transform Tool - rotation axis other than entity?

pstarypstary Member Posts: 1 PRO
I import a screw from McMaster-Carr into the Parts Studio and would like to rotate the part.

So I...
  • Select the Transform tool
  • Choose the Part for the Entity
  • Choose Rotate as the transform type
  • Choose the axis for the rotation using a part entity
  • Enter the rotation angle desired
I want to rotate the part about the Z axis.

But there is no appropriate entity aligned along the Z-axis on the part itself.

Fortunately, in this case of a socket heads cap screw, one of the hex socket entities is true vertical, giving me the option to choose this as my "Z" axis. But if the part imported with that entity slightly rotated, this would not work.

It appears that the system X, Y and Z axes are not available to use. Isn't it logical to offer the option to rotate about one of these axes? Is there anyone other than me that thinks it would be a good idea to add this option to the Transform tool? Other OnShape tools offer this.

Here is the Transform tool as it is:

The revised Transform "Rotate" tool might look this... offering the current option to rotate on entity as default, with a drop-down menu to chose the X, Y or Z axis.

Perhaps I am missing something. Is there some other mechanism for choosing an axis other than an entity of the part?

If not, do you agree this would be a nice addition?

Thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• Lee_HeskethLee_Hesketh Member, Developers Posts: 148 ✭✭
    @pstary Going off what @timrice said, I have written a FeatureScript that does what he suggested automatically. You can either create it at the origin, a selected point or a custom point by entering in coordinates. Here is the document:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/588e53983309240fdb42b079/w/959134864e71ca1631931cf5/e/ad053221e1dee6e56abf21e7
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, those who don't and those who didn't expect base 3!
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @pstary, yes!  I just put in an improvement request for this 6 days ago ( @lougallo ).  I would definatelly like to be able to just type X, Y, or Z in the axis box without needing to create a sketch.
  • steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Thank you Lee.  Solved my problem.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2018
    @Lee_Hesketh

Nice feature, thanks for sharing it :+1:

Any chance you could modify it to accept a Mate Connector as an input for the axis?  It'd be great to be able to rotate a derived part about the Z-Axis of one of it's mates.  This would get rid of needing a sketch.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • martin_dangermartin_danger Member Posts: 9
    So, 4 years later, and you still can't rotate about the X, Y or Z axis? Was this not done because the location of the axis is uncertain? I mean, as humans, we know what the centre of an object is, but to the computer, it's going to be a guess? 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    So, 4 years later, and you still can't rotate about the X, Y or Z axis? Was this not done because the location of the axis is uncertain? I mean, as humans, we know what the centre of an object is, but to the computer, it's going to be a guess? 
    It has to be deterministic - if the part size changes then your part will move unexpectedly.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    This is an old thread. You can easily rotate around an implicit mate connector and it’s easy to create that mate connector at the part studio origin.
  • eSonOfAndereSonOfAnder Member Posts: 8
    Except that, as pointed out in this thread (https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/19582/is-there-a-way-to-rotate-around-an-axis-without-having-to-draw-something-or-need-an-edge-on-a-part), if you select the origin as the mate connector for the rotate tool, there is no way to select which axis the rotate tool rotates around. It always uses the Z axis. You then have to play with the secondary mate connector parameters to shift which direction you actually want the part to rotate around. You mentioned some combination of the shift key and moving the mouse to adjust the axis, but that doesn't work in my experience and testing.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    You're right the shift-select option only works with mate connectors and an assembly origin, not a part origin. As you mention, you can change the secondary MC parameters. Compared with some other CAD tools the number of steps to do this in Onshape is not exactly ideal.