Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use ALT type orbit by default?

Lee_HeskethLee_Hesketh Member, Developers Posts: 148 ✭✭
Hi, Is there a way to set Onshape up such that I get the style of orbit when pressing alt without pressing alt? Essentially, make turntable orbit the default and trackball when pressing alt?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, those who don't and those who didn't expect base 3!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    I have a CAD Mouse from 3Dconnexion that lets you set a button to be alt+rmb - would be nice if it was an account option though. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Timofey_MorzharettoTimofey_Morzharetto Member Posts: 1
    Lee says correctly.

If the ALT key is pressed more easily controlled ORBIT.

In the settings make this mode (by pressing ALT) - it was good.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could use something like Autohotkey to remap your RMB to Alt+RMB, but only when an OnS was open.

Speaking of which, what's the preferred acronym around here? OS, OnS, Os, O!, etc ?
  • Options
    Regarding the acronym, I believe it is OS
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, those who don't and those who didn't expect base 3!
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    This is damned anoying and means I have to type an extra 4 characters at the end of each comment rather than just signing with my initials.

I asked OS to change their product name but for some reason didn't get a reply :'(

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    This is damned anoying and means I have to type an extra 4 characters at the end of each comment rather than just signing with my initials.

I asked OS to change their product name but for some reason didn't get a reply :'(

Owen S.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just change your name?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Wouldn't it be easier to just change your name?
    I can show prior art, so am calling dibs :p

OS
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @mahir How do I use AutoHotkey to only trigger on OS sites?
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lee_Hesketh, after poking around a bit, it looks like AHK can only filter based on window title. OS doesn't insert any recognizable text into the window title - only the document and tab name. It's a bit hokey, but you could use the IfWinActive AHK command to only change the mouse button mapping when specific documents are open. Unfortunately, you would have to keep adding documents to your AHK script as they're created/used. There may be some homebrew AHK function out there that can extract the current web address. If so, you could filter based on cad.onshape.com. There may also be other automation apps besides AHK that can do a better job of filtering keymaps by website. Maybe a Chrome extension for mouse gestures? It's worth looking into.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    For the acronym, it would be more clear to use Ons or something other than OS since that is commonly used for Operating System.

Can I use OS in my OS and what if I use another OS recommended by OS who is successfully using OS with his OS even though OS official site says...
    (No Owens were harmed during this example. =)

We can't expect everyone living in Ons forums like some of us do, so I think it's better to honor acronyms commonly used elsewhere.
    //rami
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    For the acronym, it would be more clear to use Ons or something other than OS since that is commonly used for Operating System.

Can I use OS in my OS and what if I use another OS recommended by OS who is successfully using OS with his OS even though OS official site says...
    (No Owens were harmed during this example. =)

We can't expect everyone living in Ons forums like some of us do, so I think it's better to honor acronyms commonly used elsewhere.
    A good point well made. Made my head hurt a little :s

I've used the term SW here intending to abreviate SoftWare, but in this context the reader may assume I meant SolidWorks, so it seems to be a CAD problem.

OwS
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    p_h522p_h522 Member Posts: 2
    there should definitely be an option to make turntable be the default.
  • Options
    Michael_UrsuliakMichael_Ursuliak Member Posts: 14
    please make turntable mode as a default option. its incredibly annoying to have my projects unintentionally turn upside down.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Make an improvement request (IR) in the appropriate forum category (see the list of categories on the RH side of the page) and then link to the request here.  Other users can vote for it and if enough do eventually, it will get implemented at some point in the future.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    This comes up often and there's an improvement request for it. Personally I only want turntable in very select situations, and I'm happy with the current arrangement, but if it gets implemented in a user-specific preference, I'm happy for the people that want turntable to be default.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5241/set-turntable-z-axis-lock-as-default