Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal: square holes are OK but round holes fail.

I'm designing a box in sheet metal.
If the various cutouts are defined after the finish-sheet-metal, all is OK except that they do not appear in the flat pattern.
If the cutouts are defined before the finish-sheet-metal, the round holes fail but the square ones are OK and appear in the flat pattern.
Why?

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Can you share your Document?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • emerson_botteroemerson_bottero Member, Developers Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I think the sheet metal feature still have its limitations, you can't use the feature hole with the sheet metal active. You can finish it and insert the hole later but it does not appear in the flat pattern. Other things you can't do is a fillet in the corners (usually to prevent harm when handling the part).
    Give it time to Onshape to improve it further but for now either you make a hole by drawing a sketch and extrude removing it or use Boolean operations like in the demonstration video.
  • chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    Hello Nicholas,
    Here is a linked document. So far I haven't had any problems extruding features from the sheet metal model converting to the flat layout.
    If you want feel free to share your document.
     https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d954b1edbad6eb348f43bf1c/w/9b448a7c4236fd341ed9cb1a/e/c180d0f0309db017c812b01f

Stay awesome and have a great week!
    Sincerely,
    Chris Winters