Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Very large bend radius in sheet metal

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
I'm having a hard time imagining how to do this in the sheet metal feature:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c906a6bdcf50136ee9dbb9e1/w/9f6d794f5ac613eb6ba6aa67/e/46b04f2749c981d246970793

The part is to be made of several sheets of 1/8" steel welded together.  I can easily see how to model the flanges but the large 9" bend radius is not clear.  There will be alignment tabs on the sheet parts to make the welding more accurate.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    OK, I guess this is a future "Roll machine operation" on sheet metal in addition to bends.
  • Options
    Bryan, I was confident an excellent sheet metal guy like yourself could manufacture the part.  I was just hoping to model it in OnShape's sheet metal feature.  I think bending it many-facet polygon would work if the facets were small enough but I'd rather have a smooth bend.  It's going to have a tight tolerance.  It is an 804mm ID enclosure for an 800mm diameter winch drum which leaves just 2mm of radial clearance.  This necessary because the line on the drum can be as small as 3mm and I don't want it to be able to escape.
  • Options
    david_cook325david_cook325 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Please tell us that onshape is going to be able to extrude rolled parts with large radius in the future and be able to accept the existing radius in the sketch or existing part.  I need to make simple parts like this in in most of my projects and currently in  Solidworks it is easy.  These workarounds are OK for the next few weeks, but not for long.  Get the rolled cylindrical parts soon and we'll want cones not long after.

At the moment going from rolling the part or bump forming the curves is something the shop I send these to has a conversation with me on a case by case basis.  Allowing us to model the rolled parts with bump forming would allow us to simulate the bump forming and pass that on to the shop as an option with us deciding ahead of time what bump steps sizes are acceptable to us.