Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Measuring imported parts

ihor_gernagaihor_gernaga Member Posts: 24 PRO
I have an imported part where I need to make minor adjustments to an internal spring clip channel. I created a section view and proceeded to measure the channel, and got this error message: "A dimension cannot be created between these items" or "An entity cannot be dimensioned to itself." I'm sure I'm missing something and would appreciate your assistance. Thank  you.

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I think you are attempting to create a sketch, then add dimensions to the existing part.
    You cannot modify an imported model in that way.
    You will need to use "move face" or "Extrude" etc..
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Yep, imported geometry needs to be edited by adding or removing material like @john_mcclary described.

But if you only need to measure (ie. need the information) you can click two or more instances in modeling area and you will see the measure tool in bottom right of your screen - by clicking there you get more detailed results.

You can also copy instances of your imported model with 'Use' command in sketch mode and set dimensions between those instances - dimensions will be read-only.

I would like Onshape to rather add read-only values if instances for dimension are from another sketch or from imported model. I don't like the message 'cannot be dimensioned' if you see that it can be measured and just wan't to show the current value.
    //rami
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited April 2017
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/27701#Comment_27701

You may want to check this tread out, kinda simular
  • Options
    ihor_gernagaihor_gernaga Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Thank you for your comments. Too bad there isn't a more straight forward step to measuring imported parts. It would make it more efficient.